Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I have been thinking about getting a new 80 but looking for reassurance

Since 1983 I've owned 120. Only 2 have I had problems with. A 177 they couldn't make any power and one where someone had overscrewd the front lugs to death. Mach 1 6

How many???
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    How many???
    Somethings not right there Tone
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Since 1983 I've owned 120. Only 2 have I had problems with. A 177 they couldn't make any power and one where someone had overscrewd the front lugs to death. Mach 1 6
    Holy moly thought I was bad

Hw80

I like HW80's what wrong with that!!! Mach 1.5

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    You must one of the best 80 fans to ask with all of your experience of them

Are the old type better than the new type ?

Why the 80 when there’s better suited sub12 rifles, 30-35-99 if you only use hw

Ive only recently come back to springers and chose Cometa’s as my only experience with HW was a 95 20 years ago and I didn’t like it so looked elsewhere and liked the Cometa range so much I have a few Commies now and like them
    A few weeks ago a good friend eager to join in on the plinking bought an old going rusty used 80 and its a big and heavy old girl that kicks like a mule. So offensive was it I talked him into new seals, springs and guides and yes a weeny difference but still not for anyone with dentures, its now getting a fully glided piston and a smaller spring and more guides as advised by a few guys.

He will have spent more on it than he paid for it, the only thing I like about it is the tyrolean cheekweld that does look well
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

The HW80, set up correctly, even retaining the 30mm piston, can still shoot nicely at sub-12 power. But a reduced cylinder one will be even better, generally. However, I have tried one or two beautifully fettled 30mm examples that shot sublimely (take a bow, WonkyDonky - others also qualify). The underlever 77/97 and 99, 95, 98 and 35 etc might be more suited to our power levels out of the box, but to some the charm and allure and built-like-an-outhouse demeanour and what attract many to the 80. Lovely, legendary beast of a rifle.

Back when the 80 was launched, the backdrop for its success was ideal, with not that many sporting springers easily making close to the limit power, so that was the rifle's main appeal. And, even compared to its '35 stablemate, with which it shared those robust dimensions and solidity etc., it promised more power and sharper, more modern looks. I wonder how different the rifle's popularity might have been in the UK if the 85 and 95 had arrived before it, though?
    Last edited by TonyL; 30-03-2024 at 07:04 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Nothing at all, Paul. Carry on......

I can understand if you still have them all.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Only got 8 left..Mach 1.5

Only got 8 left..Mach 1.5
    Was it the quest to find the perfect one?

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    If it works and there haven’t been lots of folks replacing that part then I guess it must be ok?

From a design aspect it looks pants to me though and I wouldn’t machine a part like that, much less cast it. It does look cheap and nasty. I’ve seen cast parts on machines much thicker than that fail. I’ve always liked the Victorian design concept though, work out how thick a part needs to be to handle the load - then double it!
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Like your style Paul

I’ve had a few 80’s myself in all guises and mk’s, I really should have kept that venom trapshot one I got from you though

Oh well my mate still has it and loves it.

Slightly off topic (sorry Barry) but the HW99s seems to be my niche those buggers find me most folks think I’m nuts but I can’t resist them, I’ve messed about with them for too many years now to stop although I’ve got about another 90 to get to your level

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by xbow View Post
    If it works and there haven’t been lots of folks replacing that part then I guess it must be ok?

From a design aspect it looks pants to me though and I wouldn’t machine a part like that, much less cast it. It does look cheap and nasty. I’ve seen cast parts on machines much thicker than that fail. I’ve always liked the Victorian design concept though, work out how thick a part needs to be to handle the load - then double it!
    I was beginning to think that I was the only one that thought that new part looks cr@p but it also looks like HW has got away with it as surprisingly I haven't heard any complaints.

I am a big fan of the old 80 and had my one well over 20 years and with the right spring and a tinbum kit it is fantastic at just under 11 ft/lbs I would never stroke it or sleeve it.

I would like another one maybe full length but I usually only buy new but I think I might have wait to the right old one comes along or maybe buy a custom stock but I like the classic 80 look