Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I have been thinking about getting a new 80 but looking for reassurance

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I made my own R1, look nice but cheek piece best for open sights

https://imgur.com/gallery/zqNAf33
    I like that

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Most BSA's back in the 80's had their breech blocks covered.
    Shame they couldn't be bothered to fit a proper breech bolt, though!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Shame they couldn't be bothered to fit a proper breech bolt, though!
    The annoying thing is Tone, they did for a while to a few of their rifles and then reverted back to a pin, I know their bolt setup may not be as good as HW's but it's worked for me over the years and I've never had a problem with it.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Yep, they were a bunch of very, very naughty boys, Pete.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The HW80, set up correctly, even retaining the 30mm piston, can still shoot nicely at sub-12 power. But a reduced cylinder one will be even better, generally. However, I have tried one or two beautifully fettled 30mm examples that shot sublimely (take a bow, WonkyDonky - others also qualify)
    Like any rifle it can be worked on and improved but why spend even more money on a new gun trying to get it to shoot better, just buy the right one in the first place, for me the 80 isn’t that great out the box compared to the Cometa Fenix it’s quite brutal and both are designed for big power but the 400 feels nicer at our legal limits. Now the 35 felt better to me more like the Cometa 220 I have very smooth, I didn’t get to shoot the 99, now the only thing I can say about the hw stuff is the triggers are good like the tx, the 400 needs adjustments to get it right, but I like the Cometa stock especially the pistol grip better.

Each to their own as always and enjoy
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Don't buy a new one, but a sorted MK1 , better gun and save some money 🤑

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Like your style Paul

Slightly off topic (sorry Barry) but the HW99s seems to be my niche those buggers find me most folks think I’m nuts but I can’t resist them, I’ve messed about with them for too many years now to stop although I’ve got about another 90 to get to your level
    Nothing wrong with a 99s
    Open Channel D

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Like any rifle it can be worked on and improved but why spend even more money on a new gun trying to get it to shoot better, just buy the right one in the first place, for me the 80 isn’t that great out the box compared to the Cometa Fenix it’s quite brutal and both are designed for big power but the 400 feels nicer at our legal limits. Now the 35 felt better to me more like the Cometa 220 I have very smooth, I didn’t get to shoot the 99, now the only thing I can say about the hw stuff is the triggers are good like the tx, the 400 needs adjustments to get it right, but I like the Cometa stock especially the pistol grip better.

Each to their own as always and enjoy
    The Cometas seem like very nice rifles and offer excellent value. A mildly fettled 99 is an absolute joy. I think too many people might wrongly assume that the graceful old girl that is the HW35 might be past it. But it's not. It can shoot beautifully and show many young pretenders how it should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    don't buy a new one, but a sorted mk1 , better gun and save some money 🤑
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    VAYA CON DIOS

One of my pet hates is the stock not covering the breech block, the R1 stock and the HW85 deluxe stock I like very much as they have the classic lines, the modern HW stocks are too angular.
    How do you feel about the half-covered PE stock I think that I would have preferred it fully covered although it might be less robust

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    How do you feel about the half-covered PE stock I think that I would have preferred it fully covered although it might be less robust

Not good, and the barrel shroud not touching the breech block is another no no
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Not good, and the barrel shroud not touching the breech block is another no no
    I guess this more what you would like then

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I guess this more what you would like then

Oh yes, I have that exact setup on my Longbow, makes everything look seamless and the lines flow beautifully.

Although I fully understand why people like hidden breech blocks etc, I actually also like exposed breeches too, I guess its the honesty of seeing the working bits and the fact that there is more to look at than just the wood and two cylindrical shapes. I'm thinking a good example of how this can look good is a fwb sport mk1/2. Heres a pic of my mk1 with my mk4 next to it. I know the mk4 is more of an acquired taste but I like that too.

https://imgur.com/a/zYPbRYM
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Another FWB MK4 owner. Welcome to the club. Mach 1.5