I have raised dents and oiled the occasional rifle stock for many years now. I’ve learned loads about it and have for sure improved to a decent standard to the point that I’ve done the occasional stock for pals. It’s such a relatively easy and rewarding task to do, I recommend that people should have a go themselves. Which got me thinking about checkering stocks. I have a few gorgeous Custom Stocks that have been stippled and I’m thinking of getting one changed to checkering. I’ve asked around friends and gunsmiths and the typical cost is around £40 per panel so a 4 panel rifle stock would cost circa £160. Now that sounds quite a lot of money for a cheaper air rifle, but certainly not for higher end rifles and shotguns for sure! Also I very much respect time served gunsmiths, that cover all areas of work. You then have to think about their fixed costs for having the work shop etc and a declared business so costs all add up probably pushing the costs up higher if the pattern was more complicated.

Additionally I would like to get some rifles serviced or, barrel threaded for example. So question is, which gunsmiths in the country offer a one stop shop, for checkering, servicing and rifle modifications. As you can imagine sending a rifle for one job then sending it to another for extra work adds to the time and cost considerably.