Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velocity of 22 caliber pellet required to kill starlings and grackels

Velocity of 22 caliber pellet required to kill starlings and grackels

I have a friend that asked me to help him find a pellet pistol for eliminating these pests from his yard. He says they create terrible messes on their patio, sidewalks and other areas. He wants a pellet pistol for his wife. He has a break barrel RWS rifle but she cannot cock it. He is away on his job for weeks at a time. She wants a pistol, however I do not think she can cock a break barrel. My question is, will a CO2 pistol with 450 FPS velocity have enough energy to do the job. I do not know if he has an air compressor. Would a standard air compressor have enough pressure to charge a PCP? Any info and recommendations would be appreciated.

450fps would be enough at close range, about 15 yds. The difficulty is hitting the target with a pistol.
    She would be much better off with a rifle, C02 or PCP.

In the UK we cannot shoot starlings.
    Do we have Grackles in the UK?
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    No Neil
    They are a kind of all black magpie like bird i have seen in Central and the Southern States of North America
    They were a real pain in Costa Rica
    Saw some in Mexico
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Do we have Grackles in the UK?
    Don't think we do
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

how about getting a decoy bird of prey and moving that around the garden,that will keep them away while your mate is away then when he is back just use his airgun.
    rapid 7 mk2 .22/btas 30ftlbs fac./fx verminator 177
    rapid 17 mk1 regged(by ben taylor)in mk2 stock
    savage hmr and dm80 mod/ crickett .22

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    No Neil
    They are a kind of all black magpie like bird i have seen in Central and the Southern States of North America
    They were a real pain in the Costa Rica
    Saw some in Mexico

Is that rhyming slang?

As above, a pistol has the power, but not the accuracy required. A low powered rifle is much better
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Look at crosmans co2 offerings, no cocking required. Like everyone else has said you need a rifle for this, shooting birds in the body will lead to slow excruciating deaths, it needs to be head shots, even an expert with a pistol is going to have trouble doing that
    Do not sell this man any air guns no matter what he says

Obviously the laws in the USA are very different from our own, but I don't consider any pistol suitable for shooting pests apart from dispatching cage caught pests
    I would advise you get some clarification on the details of the situation especially the shooting range & layout,

I'm guessing that his rifle is pretty high power hence it's hard to cock it, where a lower power rifle would require less cocking effort & might be an option for his wife,
    another option is CO2 if it's legal over there, but whatever the choice it needs a shoulder stock so it can be aimed correctly.

might be better off with a small calibre shotgun, 9mm (garden gun) should do it, don`t knowabout the suppy issue in the states though?

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    If it shoots BB then it's not really up to the task, your most affordable options for the US wuld probably be a Daisy Powerline 880 or Crossman, they'll pack the power needed for a clean kill and can be found in places like Walmart.
    I think Pyramid Air has a forum, that might be a better bet for getting the answer as it's US rather than UK as mentioned we can't shoot Starlings here and Grackles are not native.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

CO2 Rifle

As well as the Crosman’s mentioned, look at the Snowpeak XS501 in .22. They have power adjusters when you remove the stock, (only 2 screws). They hold twice the CO2 that the Crosmans do. Look them up on the USA forums.

PLAGUE is offline Nice to see you, to see you,,,,,,,Nice!!!!!!!
    Why is everyone mentioning the USA?, the OP is in Moscow - pretty sure that's Russia.

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAGUE View Post
    Why is everyone mentioning the USA?, the OP is in Moscow - pretty sure that's Russia.
    Moscow, Kansas is how I read his location.

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAGUE View Post
    Because they are in Moscow Kansas, the US has a lot of places that were named after places throughout europe and Asia based on the peoples who colonised those areas.

Alabama has Birmingham, Texas has Paris etc.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Moscow, Ks

Small town located is the SW part of Kansas.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3245...!1e3?entry=ttu