Thread: Restoration question.

Restoration question.

I have a question for the restorers amongst us. On a Webley senior what is the best method for redoing the white paint of the Webley "senior" on the side and the red paint of the Do not remove on the end cap? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvey View Post
    I have a question for the restorers amongst us. On a Webley senior what is the best method for redoing the white paint of the Webley "senior" on the side and the red paint of the Do not remove on the end cap? Thanks.
    Degrease and fill lettering with Humbrol type enamel paint. Lightly wipe excess away when tacky

Thanks. That was what I had in mind but slightly worried about making a mess of it.

The Foresters gold lettering paint also comes in white silver and gold, bit expensive. The idea is that you mix a powder of silver gold or white with a quick drying resin paint, you then after degreasing, quickly fill the lettering in and wipe any excess resin paint away the lettering paint then starts to go off and with a flat cloth on the end of your finger wipe away the excess off with a solvent so you don't wipe out the lettering. You can do this with normal paint but you have to wait for the paint to dry in some cases to remove the excess. Watch out if there is any pitting near the writing as its a bugger to remove.

I just used a white wax crayon followed by a polish with a soft cloth to remove any excess. Although less durable than paint, it quite quickly ages to a slightly cream colour more appropriate to the pistol’s age.

Brian