Thread: CHEAP BULLET PULLERS??????? Don't be tempted.

CHEAP BULLET PULLERS??????? Don't be tempted.

Just got one of those cheap kinetic pullers from that BAY place. Don't bother. The rim of the collet is too thick to grip the case properly and 90% of the time the complete round pops out of the collar (Like wot that feller said about equal and opposite reactions)

The one time in 10 that the bullet actually gets pulled the case does a Superman (Leaps tall buildings).. equal and opposite again, lighter (case only) so goes much further.

I borrowed one of the good old boys and of course it worked perfectly.

I recently bought one from Aliexpress just under £12 with 3 collets and it pulls everything I want it to from22 hornet to 45 acp

To look at it, it's virtually identical to the RCBS one, and I just tried it with the RCBS collet... worked fine.

It's definately the rim of the collet, too thick to fit in the extractor groove, so doesn't grip the case properly.

I'll second the idea that the cheap ones are not good...

Back in the 80s when i started reloading, I needed a puller and bought a kinetic one.. (it could be RCBS... its green anyway...).

A year or 2 back I was still using it, but had a batch of .308 I'd accidentally crimped too hard, so needed pulling.
    After a couple of them the collet finally gave out so it wouldn't grip the rim.

After searching around for a new collet, I found I could buy a whole new hammer for the price of a collet, so bought the new hammer.

I started pulled the .308's with the new hammer, and after I'd done about 5, the whole hammer shattered..!!!

Luckily the new collets fitted the old hammer, so I went back to that.. and its still going.

Yes, I had an RCBS one in the 80s and never had the slightest problem.

I'm thinking I could probably dremel the edge of the collet sections so that they will fit the extractor groove and hold more securely.

Replace the collet with a shell holder
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Quote Originally Posted by pbranthwaite View Post
    Is the correct answer

Quote Originally Posted by pbranthwaite View Post
    Good idea. have to wonder why they provide those fiddly 3 piece collets which need to be held together with an o ring.

I saw the post about using a shell holder instead and thought "That won't work". Tried it and it DID. worked a treat.

I guess they use collets to give the maximum versatility so the owner can pull every caliber without having to buy the apropriate shell holder. Not everyone uses single stage presses so won't have individual shell holders for the caliber they want to pull.