Thread: Die locking rings

Die locking rings

Has any reloader found a type/make of locking ring which works well.

At present I use the one's with a little Allen type small bolt which locks against the die thread, I do find though that the bolt does deteriorate with use.

Any better choices? I see a few other types advertised, but recommendations from users of which ever type? I've always found the best way to choose.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

The hornady (and others) don't bind against the threads, but rather squeeze against them.

https://www.reloading.co.uk/hornady-...lock-ring.html

Hornady are better, made from steel not monkey metal.
    CZ455 American .22LR, Marlin 1894 .357 and 1935 8mm Mauser K98k S42/G (RC), Remy .308 AICS, RPR 6.5 creedmoor, no4 1* LB 1943, NRA RCO

Die locking rings

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    The hornady (and others) don't bind against the threads, but rather squeeze against them.

https://www.reloading.co.uk/hornady-...lock-ring.html
    Thanks for info, just bought two.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    Thanks for info, just bought two.
    I hope you didn't buy from the link I provided for information purposes. They look out of stock and would be on back order.

They do a six pack too which comes out cheaper. Spud has them

https://1967spud.com/hornady-sure-loc-lock-ring-x-6

Die locking rings

Hi there,
    This is what I do; buy some 7/8 x 14 UNF nuts (Hi tensile if possible) get a mate with a lathe to reduce the thickness (what ever you like and it will be perfectly square) and having six nice flats one can be drilled and tapped for a decent sized grub screw. I tend to use 5mm coarse thread (any thread type will work), grind or face off the rough end of the grub screw and the when threaded on the die drop a large shotgun pellet or piece of lead down the hole and tighten. They don’t move! Sometimes you can find nuts that are already blued.
    Cheers
    pjinoz
    Has any reloader found a type/make of locking ring which works well.

At present I use the one's with a little Allen type small bolt which locks against the die thread, I do find though that the bolt does deteriorate with use.

Any better choices? I see a few other types advertised, but recommendations from users of which ever type? I've always found the best way to choose.[/QUOTE]

Die locking rings

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    I hope you didn't buy from the link I provided for information purposes. They look out of stock and would be on back order.

They do a six pack too which comes out cheaper. Spud has them

https://1967spud.com/hornady-sure-loc-lock-ring-x-6
    I bought off the bay, about £4 each, should be here in a few days hopefully.

Die locking rings

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    I bought off the bay, about £4 each, should be here in a few days hopefully.
    Pleased with the two I bought, just sent for another 6, so all my dies will have these.