Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whiscombe

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    One shop I'd never go back to
    Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    Mainly overpriced .....I bought a rough fwb124 that had been serviced by their smith before buying lucky I bought it as a project as the spring had been just cut and not even finished. So if you do go looking be wary that's all I'm going to say
    I have bought two air rifles from Perkin Guns, an Air Arms XM100 (Mk1) in .22 and a limited edition XM100 carbine (Mk2) in .177, the Mk1 had quick fill and moderator (originally optional extras for this model in 1990) and the carbine had stainless lever bolt and Olympic trigger optional upgrades.

Prices were not excessive for these and condition was very good / excellent respectively, they gave courteous service and prompt shipping to my local RFD.

I would be willing to use then again if they have something that interests me.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond.22 View Post
    Are they actually worth the hyped up price.

I've never seen one let alone held or shot one

Would like to know opinions of those who actually have
    I have owned one of the earlier tip up barrel JW50's - it was a truly beautifully engineered rifle.

Did I like the gun? Yes.

Did I 'gel' with it as a shooter? No.

I sold it on recovering what I had paid for it, I am glad to have had the experience of owning an example of a rare and unusual air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    Things are only worth what someone else is willing to pay....never the actual investment put in...that said if something can't be replaced/repeated it has a rarity value.I have paid over the odds to be the owner of rare stuff, but only to the value I place on it...
    Are Whiscombes worth the money asked...well engineered, beautiful finish and extremely capable of doing what it says on the tin....+RARE...
    If you have the money and the desire then YES, if it's just to do a job then NO....!
    I think 'AC all day' sums it up very well.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

John was an amazingly talented engineer. The guns are the pinnacle of spring powered air rifles. The triggers are amazing also. The guns are well capable of high power but they weigh a ton. My park rh93 with thumbhole stock is the same as that weighs about 12lbs. The whiscombes are superb guns but the prices now are getting ridiculous. They are much better than my park rh93 but are they worth 5x the price I'd say no myself.
    Last edited by WILBA; 10-04-2024 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond.22 View Post
    Are they actually worth the hyped up price.

I've never seen one let alone held or shot one

Would like to know opinions of those who actually have
    I had one (JW50) about 15 years ago and sold it for £500. I think todays prices are hyped up but they are superb peices of kit.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    I have bought two air rifles from Perkin Guns, an Air Arms XM100 (Mk1) in .22 and a limited edition XM100 carbine (Mk2) in .177, the Mk1 had quick fill and moderator (originally optional extras for this model in 1990) and the carbine had stainless lever bolt and Olympic trigger optional upgrades.

Prices were not excessive for these and condition was very good / excellent respectively, they gave courteous service and prompt shipping to my local RFD.

I would be willing to use then again if they have something that interests me.
    good for you but I wouldn't
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

Met John Whiscombe a couple of times, very nice guy and happy to talk about his work. It was always going to be too expensive for mainstream production but if you’re really into collecting one would be a fine addition. Rather like the low\no recoil sliding action spring rifles very heavy and rendered obsolete by pcp’s which can be made for a fraction of the cost.

John Whiscombe

Early rifles used venom springs funny enough. John and Dave Pope got on well back in the day. Amazing rifles with a stunning build quality but heavy. Mach 1.5