Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theoben olympus

Theoben olympus

Were theoben just shoving any size barrel on their guns? My Olympus has a 7" fenman barrel on it but was told the Olympus should have a 14" barrel? Was it a customer preference or were theoben just chucking any size barrels on their guns towards the end?

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I had a late MFR which had a mix of metric and imperial threads on it
    I don't think standardisation was a strong point
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    I had a late MFR which had a mix of metric and imperial threads on it
    I don't think standardisation was a strong point
    Don't get me wrong I love the shortness and point ability of the Olympus set-up. But a guy in another forum suggested my gun had the wrong length barrel for that model.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Maybe a previous owner had it cut down
    As long as you are happy sod the rest mate
    Pete

A lot of the barrels are interchangeable, so maybe a previous owner has sourced and fitted this one. There are quite a few parts guns out there as well, similar to rapids. Using good parts from several bad guns to make one good one.

John.
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Maybe a previous owner had it cut down
    As long as you are happy sod the rest mate
    The barrel is not cut down as it looks exactly the same as a fenman when I managed to get the mod off it. I think it might well be a customer spec or a theoben bitser they did with with barrels they had at the time. I am very happy with the set up as it is so pointable .

Rumour has it that Theoban had been known to use anything to hand when orders were rushed out.
    My local RFD only labels a rifle as Theoban break barrel. If he gives it a name, someone always says he's wrong as it should have blah de blah.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    Were theoben just shoving any size barrel on their guns? My Olympus has a 7" fenman barrel on it but was told the Olympus should have a 14" barrel? Was it a customer preference or were theoben just chucking any size barrels on their guns towards the end?
    My recollection was that the Olympus was the thumb hole version of the Taunus.
    They both had 10" barrels, but I do think that towards the end you could have any Model with any length barrel so unless specifically ordered then RFD would get what Theoben had in stock and made up.
    VAYA CON DIOS

as long as your happy with it thats the main thing bud

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    My recollection was that the Olympus was the thumb hole version of the Taunus.
    They both had 10" barrels, but I do think that towards the end you could have any Model with any length barrel so unless specifically ordered then RFD would get what Theoben had in stock and made up.
    Yes it's the thumbhole stocked version.

I bought a new 1998 Olympus from theoben and it was an ultra carbine
    Straight from factory 7” barrel

Quote Originally Posted by negotiator View Post
    I bought a new 1998 Olympus from theoben and it was an ultra carbine
    Straight from factory 7” barrel
    That would explain my short barrel then

Very few ultra carbines of the Olympus were made.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    Very few ultra carbines of the Olympus were made.
    I have properly measured the barrel as I guessed it last time. Looking at the depth of my other evolution moderator I now know the barrel is in fact 7" and not 10" as I thought. I think the fenman is a 7" also??

I have properly measured the barrel as I guessed it last time. Looking at the depth of my other evolution moderator I now know the barrel is in fact 7" and not 10" as I thought. I think the fenman is a 7" also??
    Yep, the barrel on my Fenman was 7” which, although extremely accurate, made it a pain to cock even with the moderator attached. In an old Theoben advertisement they described it as ‘Ultra Carbine 19cm (7 in) Barrel’. The Olympus was described as ‘The ultimate development of the Fenman high efficiency system’. At the time the Fenman with Evolution silencer and Hyedua stock was listed as £372, the Olympus with Evolution silencer and thumb hole Hyedua stock was £504. As others have pointed out I am sure there were barrel length options, I can remember reading it on a price list I had when I ordered my Fenman direct from Theoben
    Last edited by ken69; 07-04-2024 at 08:28 AM.