Thread: Older and Grumpier

ggggr is online now part time super hero and seeker of justice

Older and Grumpier

As I get older and find myself getting a tad more grumpy I think about some of the things I tinker and plink with and some of the problems that have cropped up.
    I find that I appreciate the more simple things. While they are not refined, a Bsa Cadet and a Webley Junior pistol are bloody good guns and good fun. I know the Cadet Major is a bit more refined and bloody good looking, but the robustness of the Cadet and its sights do it for me. Pretty much the same with a Webley Junior pistol. Very solid and the ones without the rearsight plate are great if the sight suits your eyes.
    I like the DIana 25 rifle, but the weaker piston set up and the ramp rearsight are more likely to wear or break than Cadet items. The Gecado version had a more basic rearsight.

I see a "my gun wont cock" post sometimes and I get fed up explaining the whole routine to isolate the problem with that. I also get asked about problems with some old stuff. I don't mind a pm but some people (mainly on the other forum) want to go into details over many Pm's . I just find it so much easier to sort out over the phone. I think when people have phoned me, I have been able to help them sort things every time. I find it bloody frustrating when people mess with a gun and don't give it a chance to settle before saying there is a problem with accuracy etc after firing ten shots.
    Oh well, Older and Grumpier.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Well, for what it’s worth I’ve found your ‘idiots guides’ extremely helpful for getting many of the rifles and pistols in my collection serviced and shooting at their best.

I’m sure for every annoying P.M’er who wants to be walked through every step of an airguns servicing there are dozens who quietly refer to your guides for instruction.

Muchos appreciatos,
    Matt

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    As I get older and find myself getting a tad more grumpy I think about some of the things I tinker and plink with and some of the problems that have cropped up.
    I find that I appreciate the more simple things. While they are not refined, a Bsa Cadet and a Webley Junior pistol are bloody good guns and good fun. I know the Cadet Major is a bit more refined and bloody good looking, but the robustness of the Cadet and its sights do it for me. Pretty much the same with a Webley Junior pistol. Very solid and the ones without the rearsight plate are great if the sight suits your eyes.
    I like the DIana 25 rifle, but the weaker piston set up and the ramp rearsight are more likely to wear or break than Cadet items. The Gecado version had a more basic rearsight.

I see a "my gun wont cock" post sometimes and I get fed up explaining the whole routine to isolate the problem with that. I also get asked about problems with some old stuff. I don't mind a pm but some people (mainly on the other forum) want to go into details over many Pm's . I just find it so much easier to sort out over the phone. I think when people have phoned me, I have been able to help them sort things every time. I find it bloody frustrating when people mess with a gun and don't give it a chance to settle before saying there is a problem with accuracy etc after firing ten shots.
    Oh well, Older and Grumpier.
    Time to start your YouTube channel. Grumpy presenters are often the best .. the cranky car mechanics are the best & funniest.

First episode ‘My gun won’t cock’

tinbum has a airgun tuning channel, you can do a plinking & tinkering channel ..

ggggr is online now part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Well, for what it’s worth I’ve found your ‘idiots guides’ extremely helpful for getting many of the rifles and pistols in my collection serviced and shooting at their best.

I’m sure for every annoying P.M’er who wants to be walked through every step of an airguns servicing there are dozens who quietly refer to your guides for instruction.

Muchos appreciatos,
    Matt
    Thanks Matt. Much appreciated. I think it is the typing out and trying to make sure the reply is clear enough and doesn't contain errors that is long and wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Time to start your YouTube channel. Grumpy presenters are often the best .. the cranky car mechanics are the best & funniest.

First episode ‘My gun won’t cock’

tinbum has a airgun tuning channel, you can do a plinking & tinkering channel ..
    Well as I am a computer dunce and hate a lot of techy things, I cannot see that happening.
    Can you imagine if IJ had done a Webley pistol one?

Over the years we have seen the posts on here about "my gun isn't cocking" and people are almost shouting "It's coil bound!!!" . The posts and posters that I find really annoying are the ones who don't listen and then go through the taking a bit off the cylinder end plug or the piston and various other things before somehow the gun might eventually cock.

On a different note, I think people miss out by Pm-ing or emailing rather than talking. The information I have come across and the guns I have got as something has cropped up in casual conversation is pretty interesting.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Looking at the guns i have come across in my years of shooting, talk about my gun don't cock, the damage done by tinkering using club hammers, chisel screw drivers either masonry or wood, bench vice jaw marks all over the place and parts replaced with scrap bits from the junk box and wood screws used as machine screw plus burred off screw slots, and fence presevative wood finishes plus pure neglect by not giving the gun a wipe over with oil or putting the gun away wet etc, no wonder my gun don't cock let alone anything come out of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    ..... find myself getting a tad more grumpy:rolleyes ...... Oh well, Older and Grumpier.
    I've also found your posts/guides useful. Danke.

Embrace the grumpiness. Just as age brings grey hair (or no hair) so it can bring grumpiness. Think of it as a sign of your ability to quickly discern between common sense and utter tosh. Our club has a small sub-committee of non elected members (me included) who are abundantly blessed with gift of grumpiness. The number of national and world problems we have collectively solved while plinking and throwing lead up range is staggering.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 06-04-2024 at 01:11 PM.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Dear ggggr,

Your input to this great forum in the cosmos, along with your informative strip guides negate any grumpiness you may have as it has given pleasure and happiness to many. No, not the airgun side cause grumpiness, that is all lovely stuff with the odd challenge to be fixed.

It is just genetics, for some us combined with old age and lack of sex I reckon. Once we can't continue the species, we are are on a downward slope.....

Have fun, polish those tools ready for the next challenge.....

All the best.
    Last edited by SRV1; 08-04-2024 at 01:09 PM.