Thread: Hankering after guns you’ve owned and sold on ..

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Hankering after guns you’ve owned and sold on ..

I just found myself looking at a Park RH93 thumbhole which is going for over £700. That’s just too much money to spend on a non-match airgun. It’s too much to spend on an airgun full stop in my book.

I owned one before and they are so heavy (11 lb) the amazing opposed piston recoilless action is pretty much redundant, the cocking effort is enormous for the power, they’re a bit tricky to strip and the trigger isn’t nearly as good as if they’d just copied the Rekord. I sold it on.

A good 77 or ProSport can equal their performance at least. So why do I keep searching for them? Same with the FWB Sport, I’ve owned a few but always come back to the fact a 77 is a better rifle.

It’s an annoying mental tik.

Hankering

I would still like to have my Mach 1 back which I sold in 1997. Yes it's heavy but what a springer. Mach 1.5

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Luckily I managed to get my Prosport back off of you many years ago, I suppose I'd like my original SFS tuned Challenger back, I did take a lot of rabbits with that rifle.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Luckily I managed to get my Prosport back off of you many years ago, I suppose I'd like my original SFS tuned Challenger back, I did take a lot of rabbits with that rifle.
    Both those rifles are good choices though, that ProSport was one of the most accurate rifles I’ve owned - it matched a very accurate TX200SR at 50 yards (must get my own PS sorted) and an SFS Challenger let go of? You must have been in dire need of coin or high on moly to sell that, I would have thought a late model BSA would be the last thing Pete look no hands would let go of …

The Park and the Sport are charming but have big flaws that are like, nah, after a while.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 06-04-2024 at 05:24 PM.

My Airsporter S I sold when first married and skint, to buy my daughter a certian lovely Titan MPT...

Then I have bought two back over the years. First was the same Titan MPT I bought for my daughter and had later sold to buy her an AA MPR400, and managed to buy back ten years later. I also sold my AA EV2 Mk4 and regretted it last year, but have just bought it back a year later after the buyer held his promise to give me first option back if he wanted rid of it.

I was supposed to be downsizing my collection, maybe I have a problem.
    I do think some of my BSA's and in particular the Airsporters need to be reduced, and just keep some of the ones I am sentimental about.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Both those rifles are good choices though, that ProSport was one of the most accurate rifles I’ve owned - it matched a very accurate TX200SR at 50 yards (must get my own PS sorted) and an SFS Challenger let go of? You must have been in dire need of coin or high on moly to sell that, I would have thought a late model BSA would be the last thing Pete look no hands would let go of …

The Park and the Sport are charming but have big flaws that are like, nah, after a while.
    I had an early walnut .177 Pro Sport not many years ago and I still miss it. I superglued the cocking link bolt and it never came loose again. Not only was it incredibly powerful and accurate with JSBs after I serviced it, it was so beautiful I used to gaze at it an embarrassing amount of the time. The other one I miss is a minty Mk1 Airsporter. I never really got acquainted with it before I was forced sell it on back in the mid-1980s - a lasting regret.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I had an early walnut .177 Pro Sport not many years ago and I still miss it. I superglued the cocking link bolt and it never came loose again. Not only was it incredibly powerful and accurate with JSBs after I serviced it, it was so beautiful I used to gaze at it an embarrassing amount of the time. The other one I miss is a minty Mk1 Airsporter. I never really got acquainted with it before I was forced sell it on back in the mid-1980s - a lasting regret.
    Sounds like a similar generation to Pete’s rifle, I think it was in the 800 serial number zone. Didn’t the earlier ones have a shorter stroke or something?

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    My ‘ I really miss you’ notes would got to the pair of ISP spartans i sold
    That and my GML 400 with titanium cylinder and other trickery
    Gun control means using both hands.

Dean C has a Pro Sport that he once had for sale, and then changed his mind. Thats the one I want.

I've let a few great rifles go over the years. Buying another example isn't often the same if the one that went was a good one.
    Last edited by Muskett; 06-04-2024 at 11:46 PM.

I think for me it would be my AA Mistral, lovely gun and a nicely designed stock. I made a tigertailed maple stock and slim line moderator for mine a fitted a gas strut.
    I've never seen it since selling it to New Avon Arms after I got together with Tam to help pay for Christmas 30 years ago.
    So if anyone has a beat up old one they'd be willing to let go for a few quid and make an old man happy����....dom

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Sounds like a similar generation to Pete’s rifle, I think it was in the 800 serial number zone. Didn’t the earlier ones have a shorter stroke or something?
    Yes they where short stroked like the mk1 TX, the Challenger was PXed for a Pro Elite at TAL Arms in Bournemouth, when I think back how many guns I've had over the years, I bought a SFS Stingray custom T from TAL as well, that was something special as well, that was PXed as well for a .177 Goldstar.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Rose tinted glasses is often the cause of reminiscing over past guns, it's often not the gun you miss, but memories associated with it, perhaps from your youth

I've done it myself, I sold a Webley Vulcan years ago I had as a kid, missed it and bought it back a few years later from the purchaser as he was giving up air guns. I kept it for about 6 months, it never fired a shot, and I sold it again - still miss that gun
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Rose tinted glasses is often the cause of reminiscing over past guns, it's often not the gun you miss, but memories associated with it, perhaps from your youth

I've done it myself, I sold a Webley Vulcan years ago I had as a kid, missed it and bought it back a few years later from the purchaser as he was giving up air guns. I kept it for about 6 months, it never fired a shot, and I sold it again - still miss that gun
    I think you've hit the nail on the head James

Just bought 2 rifles, myself, that very much remind me of days gone by.
    Oddly enough, they're both as capable as most modern stuff is, so very useable
    B.A.S.C. member