Thread: looking for a PCP target pistol for pony club tetrathlon - advise please

looking for a PCP target pistol for pony club tetrathlon - advise please

hi all

I am struggling to find a PCP for my lad to shoot with at present he is using a HW40 - he shoots great with it at 7m but its a bit of an animal to cock and as he is only just 12 he isn't real man enough for it!

currently shooting 2 handed but this year he has to go to 1 handed 10 meter

what would you guys suggest? sensible budget but not paying 2.5k on a styer

its a real bugger as he is leading in the horse / run/ swim events but getting stressed about the shooting - so need to get it sorted

regards
    You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by custarddog View Post
    hi all

I am struggling to find a PCP for my lad to shoot with at present he is using a HW40 - he shoots great with it at 7m but its a bit of an animal to cock and as he is only just 12 he isn't real man enough for it!

currently shooting 2 handed but this year he has to go to 1 handed 10 meter

what would you guys suggest? sensible budget but not paying 2.5k on a styer

its a real bugger as he is leading in the horse / run/ swim events but getting stressed about the shooting - so need to get it sorted

regards
    As daft as it sounds...SMK do a half reasonable one at just over£500ish

There is a Synthetix .22 Reximex Mito in the sales section, not sure if that will be any good.
    rapid 7 mk2 .22/btas 30ftlbs fac./fx verminator 177
    rapid 17 mk1 regged(by ben taylor)in mk2 stock
    savage hmr and dm80 mod/ crickett .22

PM sent with a few options.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Pony club pistol

Forget the cheap options, there is one head and shoulders above choice, and they are top class, and very easily disposable if he did not continue with target shooting.

The Steyr LP2 compact.

They sell at £500 to £750 used, and are a superb pistol.

At one time in the past my own club had several members with them, used by seniors (one won the British Air Pistol Championships with one!) and we had at one time up to five junior Pony club members with them!!

I still have mine, and although I won't shoot again would not sell it.

Look about, your only problem maybe finding one.
    Best of luck

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Morini

I have a Morini 162E1 Short that I bought from a lady who used it for pony club shoots. Being short it balances well for younger hands and it has an extra small grip.

Some very good Co2 alternatives out there

Crosman xx40 range is out as they are .22, but getting a .177 barrel and probe is an easy work around for that

Diana Bandit or one of the Artemis range? https://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/ai...ic-air-pistols or https://rangeandcountry.co.uk/diana-bandit-air-pistol/

Plenty of guides out there on how to get the best out of the trigger

Lov21 Co2...... no heavier than a cap gun, and very, very good for what they are
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Pistol

I second Robins comment. Best place to look for used target equipment is the Stirton forum, there was an LP2 Compact there recently. It will broaden your chances of finding one.

A young lass who practices at my local range for the pony club competition has one of these
    https://www.edinkillie.co.uk/hammerl...ol-p-1463.html, I helped to zero the sights when she first turned up with it, cracking little gun

For Sale

I have just posted a Gamo compact and a Pardini K58 in the sales section. My local RFD has sold a few of the Gamos to pony club people. The Pardini is a lovely piece of equipment but it is up to you to decide if it would be suitable. You would be welcome to try it at my place.

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special
    Just sold a chiappa fas 6004 , recoilless and accurate.
    Good starter pistol.
    Good luck.
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

Go CO2, Tau 7 or Tau 7 Junior. Could he cock an FAS 604 or Gamo Compact or Gamo PR 45? Any of these guns will shoot one hole groups in the right hands.
    Last edited by derekm; 20-04-2024 at 12:25 PM.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.