Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can a heavy piston rob power?

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35

Can a heavy piston rob power?

Hi all, simple question really, can a heavy piston in a springer or even a rammer rob power?
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

While not in to springers, as the power is only generated once the piston sweeps the chamber to compress the air, I can't see that it it would "rob power",
    but it would probably slow the action fractionally giving a different "feel" to the shot cycle.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all, simple question really, can a heavy piston in a springer or even a rammer rob power?
    All the high powered springers have heavy pistons and sometimes add piston weights for more.

Oooooh....that's a big, big, sweeping question, Petey Boy!

Are you asking would fitting a heavier piston than optimal in a particular gun would rob power if converting? Maybe. Maybe not. As AB says, it'd certainly give a different feel to the cycle. If the spring wasn't changed, piston acceleration would be slower. But momentum would be increased. Recoil in the first forward stroke would fractionally increase, but piston bounce might decrease. Transfer port size and flow and pellet release pressure would also be big factors here. Depending on how optimal the piston weight was pre-fettle would dictate whether a lighter or heavier piston would be an improvement or otherwise. And it's often subjective and psychological anyway.

A heavier piston combined with more spring force and more preload could well result in greater power output but at a detriment to the firing cycle, usability and accuracy.

Depends on the gun.......I've often heard (but haven't experimented with this) that increasing the piston weight of rodless 25mm pistons (as fitted to Gamos and clones) might be helpful. But I quite like the quick feel of their cycles with their light pistons.

So much to consider here.....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

One of the tuning tips for Chinese airguns was to loose the steel top hat.
    I have since learned that is better to leave it in and keep the piston weight to 185g.

25mm cylinder sub 12 ftlbs.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Adding a little weight in the the piston can sometimes increase power and make the gun shoot nicer

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Oooooh....that's a big, big, sweeping question, Petey Boy!

Are you asking would fitting a heavier piston than optimal in a particular gun would rob power if converting? Maybe. Maybe not. As AB says, it'd certainly give a different feel to the cycle. If the spring wasn't changed, piston acceleration would be slower. But momentum would be increased. Recoil in the first forward stroke would fractionally increase, but piston bounce might decrease. Transfer port size and flow and pellet release pressure would also be big factors here. Depending on how optimal the piston weight was pre-fettle would dictate whether a lighter or heavier piston would be an improvement or otherwise. And it's often subjective and psychological anyway.

A heavier piston combined with more spring force and more preload could well result in greater power output but at a detriment to the firing cycle, usability and accuracy.

Depends on the gun.......I've often heard (but haven't experimented with this) that increasing the piston weight of rodless 25mm pistons (as fitted to Gamos and clones) might be helpful. But I quite like the quick feel of their cycles with their light pistons.

So much to consider here.....
    I only ask as I'm sure I read JB's tuning of the Airsporter RB2 and he said the piston was too heavy, I was chronoing the Fenman last night and it is running at 10ftp with the drop in Diana gas ram, it was also doing the same with the spring kit I have, but that didn't have any preload slip washers fitted, I had a 5mm thick disk welded to the front of the Fenman piston so I could fit a Diana 35 seal, I first thought it might be too heavy but have just thought that it's been short stroked because of the longer seal and the added disk, so tat might be why it is lower power with spring fitted.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Physics brain says yes and no, if theres not enough room to build up momentum it should but then at momentum its harder to stop thus must transfer more energy and give more power so in short if the Guns designed to utilize it then it will mean more than less.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    sure it can.

take an extreme, with the piston weight something stupid like 10 kgs. How slowly would that accelerate ? So you'd not build up that high pressure pulse.
    This is why long weak springs and heavy pistons are a bad combination.

too light also robs power, as the piston lacks inertia, so is quickly stopped by the pressure pushing back on it.

So there's a sweet spot in the middle. As Neil indicates, for 25mm bore guns around 12 FP, the sweet spot is 180g - 220g (depending on stroke/port/seal/spring).
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Stroke plays a part , the mass needs to get up to speed to deliver the power,if the stroke is too short, for the weight it won't be going fast enough to deliver, extra weight can take you into dieseling territory also .

I think I read somewhere that Theoben rammer pistons are hefty old lumps because they have thick walls as they have a lot of pressure in them, so most probably heavier than a standard springer piston, and because of the extra weight they need extra high pressure to propell them.

I think I read somewhere that Theoben rammer pistons are hefty old lumps because they have thick walls as they have a lot of pressure in them, so most probably heavier than a standard springer piston, and because of the extra weight they need extra high pressure to propell them.
    they are thick and heavy, and seem to need more stroke than expected too.. same with an HW90..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    they are thick and heavy, and seem to need more stroke than expected too.. same with an HW90..
    So if it was converted back to spring, would a lighter piston help?

So if it was converted back to spring, would a lighter piston help?
    depends on the stroke / bore, but quite possibly, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    depends on the stroke / bore, but quite possibly, yes...
    Not sure on the stroke but it's a 28mm bore.