Thread: A puzzling Webley oil can.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

A puzzling Webley oil can.

I have never seen a Webley oil can like the one on the right in these pictures. Is it genuine? Has anyone seen one like it before?

Looks like a made up can to me,I've certainly never seen one,or even any pictures of one before

The can on the left is one of my replicas, and the one on the right was one of several given to me by a well known BBS member, for which I adapted some of my labels, so it was never a Webley issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The can on the left is one of my replicas, and the one on the right was one of several given to me by a well known BBS member, for which I adapted some of my labels, so it was never a Webley issue.
    Thanks David. That certainly clears things up. Fortunately neither of these belong to me, and the current owner paid nothing for them.

Interestingly John Atkins saw these pictures and immediately deduced that both were made-up items. Knowledge is power! And can save you a lot of money.

Cheers,
    John

My interest in all things Webley covers the period 1924 - 1975 after which I believe things started to go down hill a bit. These oil cans hold a particular fascination for me as do the various pellet tins available over the period. Apart from the Valvespout can, I believe the one in the second picture was also sold in small numbers for a limited time but before the war but I have never come across an actual example.

Brian

[QUOTE=ccdjg;8296308]Thanks David. That certainly clears things up. Fortunately neither of these belong to me, and the current owner paid nothing for them.

Interestingly John Atkins saw these pictures and immediately deduced that both were made-up items. Knowledge is power! And can save you a lot of money.

Cheers,
    John

Glad to hear, the current owner paid nothing for them. I gave a few of the RHS cans away as gifts.

Very collectible now and worth at least a pound....

[QUOTE=Binners;8296442]
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post

Very collectible now and worth at least a pound....
    Maybe a bit more if you sell them as vintage Browning gun oilers