Thread: My webley pistol collection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BC312 View Post
    Very nice collection, do you ever shoot any or try them all out?
    Talking about wife's, i wonder how many air rifles and pistols have ended up in the dustbin because in the eyes of most women they consider such things as junk, i bet there are a few horror stories out there about friends guns junked when they pass on or there is a nasty divorce case.
    I dread to think how many could of been dumped for the reasons you state,the Mrs and kids have some idea they are worth a pound or 2 but don't think they have any idea of the true worth I'd I'd get pestered to sell them to pay for other stuff 🤣🤣 I don't intend on selling any so when I go they will hopefully have a nice surprise inheritance as the value is always going up I guess

As for firing them I know some are unfired (I call it unfired but the reality is they have probably all been test fires when new at the factory) so I'll say unfired since being boxed at the factory so I've never fired them myself,I've just lubed and cocked and decocked them a few times a year so they don't get gummed up,as what's the point in using then and putting wear and damage on them,it just becomes another used pistol then and I don't think there are that many tidy ones left now,and the webleys are so basic in construction with not many moving parts so they tolerate not being used well

I have collections of other makes that hate not being used such as the bsa scorpion pistols where if left to long get seized up and are a nightmare to strip so I try to shoot them more often just to keep moving but are also mint so have to be carefull u don't mark them

But I still do enjoy pistol shooting especially the webleys and I have another collection of unboxed webleys and other vintage pistols that aren't in such tidy condition that get used quite alot so I'm not missing out on the experience totally lol

I was wondering where they all went.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Lovely

They are lovely.
    It's good that you are lookiing after them so well, they are a part of our country's history that will never come back and they are a diminishing resource for future historians.
    I know I'd be tempted to shoot them just once or twice...or maybe a couple more, Oh! the tin is nearly empty I might as well use up those few. - and so on...

A nice collection indeed. As Webley lovers know, the good thing about Webley pistols is there’s a fair few around, so you can easily start some form of collection. Also they’re generally indestructible.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    A nice collection indeed. As Webley lovers know, the good thing about Webley pistols is there’s a fair few around, so you can easily start some form of collection. Also they’re generally indestructible.
    Yep true I guess plenty around but it's getting harder and harder to find really nice ones now,especially in original boxes and when they do come up you have to be quick as they get snapped up fast and the prices are going through the roof now so I'm glad I've got 1 of most of the models,just need to hunt down the ones I don't have lol

BEESA is offline A Man walks in to a bar.....
    Very nice collection you have there , thanks for sharing
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by BEESA View Post
    Very nice collection you have there , thanks for sharing
    Don
    Cheers

Webley pistols

Lovley collection you can be proud of best i have seen.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
    Yep true I guess plenty around but it's getting harder and harder to find really nice ones now,especially in original boxes and when they do come up you have to be quick as they get snapped up fast and the prices are going through the roof now so I'm glad I've got 1 of most of the models,just need to hunt down the ones I don't have lol
    A fantastic Webley collection. Now you just need to get one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post

Ah Mr hofmanns I presume
    Hopefully oneday 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    What is that, John. Made by Webley or a copy? (Sorry. I can't get to my ESAP right now).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    What is that, John. Made by Webley or a copy? (Sorry. I can't get to my ESAP right now).
    Danny, The only information I was able to find was summarised in ESAP (page 457) as follows:

This major modification of a Webley Junior pistol has been carried out very thoughtfully by an unknown, and most probably professional, enthusiast, resulting in a compact concentric trigger-guard cocking pistol, which might be considered as a hybrid between the Abas Major and the Anson Star. To achieve the conversion, the cylinder has been removed and turned upside-down so that the cocking link channel is now under the cylinder. The old breech block has been cut off and the air transfer port sealed, probably by the new rear sight. The smoothbore brass barrel runs concentrically with the cylinder and the breech is accessed for loading by unscrewing a breech inserter pin. The trigger guard underlever appears to have been cast, or skilfully forged, from steel, which would have been beyond the capabilities of the average amateur. The pistol performed well and was quite powerful for its size and age.

REFERENCE
    AG (JA) Feb 2015, p.79. Illustrated discussion of the pistol

If anyone can add to this I would be very grateful.

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    They are lovely.
    It's good that you are lookiing after them so well, they are a part of our country's history that will never come back and they are a diminishing resource for future historians.
    I know I'd be tempted to shoot them just once or twice...or maybe a couple more, Oh! the tin is nearly empty I might as well use up those few. - and so on...
    Cheers
    That's exactly why I have a collection of not so good unboxed webleys to shoot and remove any temptation 🤣

Wise man

Quote Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
    Cheers
    That's exactly why I have a collection of not so good unboxed webleys to shoot and remove any temptation 🤣
    That is very wise of you. Even so, I'd be tempted...

A couple of the last ever what I call real webleys