Thread: Thoughts on Steyr Hunting 5 air rifle

Thoughts on Steyr Hunting 5 air rifle

I have been looking at the Steyr Hunting 5 air rifles and the bulpup model as well as their 5 shot pistols. What do the lucky owner here on the forum think of them, been looking on youtube at reviews, seems that the ones shown are for sale, is there something wrong with them, are there any issues or are they just great accurate guns to shoot. What are the .22 5 shot rifles like and how many shots do you get per charge. Are they all electronic trigger or is that an option with the match rifles.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Sorry I can't offer too much info but I have shot one at the boinger bash and they are highly accurate and great fun to shoot as you don't need to keep cocking them between shots, my partner who is a complete novice put all five shots through the centre hole of the yellow zeroing plate at the bash, very impressive rifle.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Steyr

well dont think about one go and buy one,i have had many guns all very good but my Steyr Hunting 5 Scout SA .20 cal does has
    already been stated and more when hunting with it you will be able to take out 2 rabbits before the first one drops,
    and when target shooting and you let a friend have a go you will ruin him from using anything else,the amount of shots would depend
    on what calibre you have mine does about 130 shots mine is the shorter one the the other one will do more with the longer cylinder if you buy one and you want more info on servicing and adjusting give me a call.

Steyr

i must add no electronics in the Steyr air rifles, and accuracy is spot on

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I have used Neil's at the Bash
    Bloody good rifle
    Pete

I'll buck the trend - my Steyr H5A bullpup wouldn't group any better than an out of the box HW95 at forty yards.
    In fact, my open sighted HW77, admittedly with a 6" dayglo disk as a marker, ( just so I could see an aim point ), put in a group at least a third of the size at sixty yards...
    I really wanted to like the rifle but it plain didn't perform. I scrubbed and reset the barrel to optimum, checked performance and velocity with a ton of different pellets, seated pellets into the mag, tried different torques on the stock bolts, different optics, etc etc etc - but it wouldn't put in a group that bettered my thirty odd year year old '77. And at north of two grand for the Steyr and less than a couple of hundred for the '77, that was an issue.
    I have to say, it performed flawlessly, like a Swiss watch and the consistency was spot on - but the accuracy just wasn't there.
    I sold it at a massive loss to someone who wanted to shoot rats and rabbits with night vision at up to thirty yards maximum - so it would have been pretty well suited to that.
    Having said all of the above, I tried Neil180's H5 Scout at the bash and put in a group at thirty yards that was pretty decent - he even took photographs of it.
    Maybe I had a bad one - but I've never seen evidence of a decent group at extended ranges with a H5A.
    I guess it all comes down to it's intended purpose and what you're expecting from it.
    Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Seen two in the flesh, both with owners cursing them for misfeeds, hours spent finding the right pellet, having to hold them at just the right angle for loading magazine so the pellets didn't drop out.......

Accuracy issues? In a £2.5k rifle? And all the problems listed above? Smarter money would be on a HW100, bottle, decent scope, and a lifetimes worth of pellets for the same outlay!
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Bought one new in .22 when they first came out
    Horrible thing but it was fun to shoot it
    Couldn’t shoot groups of less than 6 inch at 25 m
    Went back to steyer twice and the shop played and reset it many times
    Eventually got a refund

I owned a H5 scout manual
    Superb rifle.
    Only shot JSB 10.34 accurately, but extremely accurately.

I had 5 mags.
    2 of those had issues where they'd drop the first shot low, so they got marked up and put aside.

I think the best advice is find a good mag, set the barrel clearance to that mag, and just use the one mag.

Mine would shoot true single hole groups at 35 yards. I've not owned many other rifles that would do the same.

Selling that H5 was one of my biggest regrets, but I had no other option at the time.
    B.A.S.C. member