Thread: Pumpers

Pumpers

Needed a bit of exercise so dug out a couple of my old pumpers which don’t seem to mind being only used on a very occasional basis. Both still produce adequate power with five or six increasingly harder pumps and the Crosman is comparable in accuracy with my Feinwerkbau pre-charged pistol if I do my bit.
    I know these were preferred to spring powered air pistols before the popular introduction of CO2 capsules in the USA, but they are far harder to charge than spring pistols where you only need to perform the cocking operation once. I guess the preference was down to being them being recoilless and the limitation on keeping a springer cocked for a continued period to avoid weakening or damaging the spring. Important if using for small game shooting, but these pistols are definitely not considered suitable for any kind of pest control.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 14-04-2024 at 09:32 AM.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Brian, I know it is counter-intuitive, but the scientific evidence points to keeping a spring airgun cocked for long periods (even months) generally has only a negligible effect on the performance of the spring once it has been settled in. It seems that most of the weakening and shortening of a new spring occurs within a short time of its use, and after that nothing much will happen if it is then kept under compression. Any further degradation and distortion of the spring that is found will be mainly caused by its repeated compression and expansion under normal use.

However, this should not be taken as a recommendation to keep a gun permanently cocked for obvious safety reasons!

I suppose another factor could be the risk of the sear failing due to metal fatigue if kept under constant high stress.

[QUOTE=ccdjg;8297203]Brian, I know it is counter-intuitive, but the scientific evidence points to keeping a spring airgun cocked for long periods (even months) generally has only a negligible effect on the performance of the spring once it has been settled in. It seems that most of the weakening and shortening of a new spring occurs within a short time of its use, and after that nothing much will happen if it is then kept under compression. Any further degradation and distortion of the spring that is found will be mainly caused by its repeated compression and expansion under normal use.

However, this should not be taken as a recommendation to keep a gun permanently cocked for obvious safety reasons!

I suppose another factor could be the risk of the sear failing due to metal fatigue if kept under constant high stress.[/QUOTE

Hello John and thanks for putting another urban myth to bed for me. I do like the occasional outing with these pump up pistols as they certainly ensure that you take your time between shots while providing a bit if a work out at the same time.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 14-04-2024 at 11:50 AM.

nice i have both model in the lady caliber ,the 105 was a basket case i got and the early version whilst the 177 just needed a piston head making

look very nice mate

These pump pistols are my heritage here in the US. I had both these pistols and have now sold them as I am refining my collection. I just find spring pistols more interesting and efficient. Pumping I think needs the leverage of a rifle. The HyScore is my US focus. But even in rifles I think spring guns are just a better more interesting system.

I briefly had a 1377, but I won't be repeating the experience! Too much repeated pumping for my liking...

Tried a Webley Alecto, which is accurate and great to shoot once I get to the trigger part, but it will be going soon.

In future, it's going to be spring, co2 and SSP for me; quite a chunk of my collection is now vintage American pistols, including a Hy-Score 800, a Phoenix Hy-Score (American design!) S&W 78G & 79G, Crosman 38T and a Daisy 44 revolver triple barrel set.

But I will not be adding a 13XX pumper!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?