Thread: HFT with a springer 😱😁

HFT with a springer 😱😁

Well what can I say , after what must be nearly 15 years away from shooting hft I’ve rejoined a club and started it all over again , although this time being a little more relaxed about the whole thing I am trying my best to convince myself that I am not interested in chasing high scores anymore and I am simply in it for the enjoyment 😬😁, This time around I’ve decided to shoot a springer HW 97 and what a lovely gun it is , Now I know it’s a very accurate gun as I shot it doing benchrest at the club and getting close to near one whole groups at 25 yards So the gun is capable , Being out in the woods and fields doing HFT is a completely different ballgame As us HFT shooters no full well, sometimes I can pull off amazing shots and other times I’m completely dumbfounded when I miss that damn shot I knew I should’ve got ! But hey, we’ve all been there right , Now I don’t mean to boast, but I’m pretty good at taking kneeling shots and for a bloke that has A lot of metal work in his leg I can tuck myself into a little stable ball not for too long on my add Otherwise, I need help getting back up😁 I’m only 47 ! Anyways the whole point of this rambling post was to enquire about other peoples tips and techniques on shooting springers in HFT I would really like to nail it this time round !
    The older I get the better I was 😁

Well done for getting back into it.

I don't participate myself (work weekends and less than enthusiastic partner towards shooting), although I'd love to.

The main challenge with the springer is to try to provide that consistent platform for your rifle at all times, as the rifle will move differently under recoil with different support regimen.

If you like watching videos, have a look in on Gary Chillingworth's "Life at The Range' series for some tips etc.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

As above really and hold sensitivity can also vary hugely between different rifles with the old springer shooting business being a dark art and i found out by going the long route that when it comes down to it there’s no substitute for practice, i tried 5 different top of the range rifles which were stock/tuned by various people and always hit a ceiling of around 49/60 on the course with my biggest problem being an inconsistent follow through of the shot, I really enjoyed my hft days though and very very sadly my local hft shoot which was Quarry Hunters is now closed…

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    As above really and hold sensitivity can also vary hugely between different rifles with the old springer shooting business being a dark art and i found out by going the long route that when it comes down to it there’s no substitute for practice, i tried 5 different top of the range rifles which were stock/tuned by various people and always hit a ceiling of around 49/60 on the course with my biggest problem being an inconsistent follow through of the shot, I really enjoyed my hft days though and very very sadly my local hft shoot which was Quarry Hunters is now closed…
    Totally agree with above. Practice practice practice.
    Consistent hold in different positions is key. Are you allowed a glove in HFT now ?, if so, wear one.
    VAYA CON DIOS

I do believe that gloves are now allowed. And highly recommended for so many reasons.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Nothing really to add to what's been said - hold consistency, use a glove, use naturally occurring rests

The one bit of HFT that I think robs it of the realism it offers that FT doesn't is shooting prone -but if you can, why wouldn't you!?!?!

A strong prone technique narrows the playing field between PCP and springer by taking away a lot of the weight difference
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Thanks gents some good tips there , there’s only so much tuning you can do I guess the rest is just technique and consistency 👍
    The older I get the better I was 😁