Thread: Cheap compressor's Any good?

Cheap compressor's Any good?

Hi guys I'm just at the start of getting back into doing a little shooting after packing it all in maybe 10 years back due to loosing my old shooting partner bless him and struggling with a chronic back injury that can't be fixed after getting attacked as a nurse with a chap with Autism. Completely ruined my life but I'm hold on grudge as he didn't know any different. Anyway I need to try and get out of the house and a rut so I'm gonna try a bit of shooting again although the hft circuit has long gone for me I can still sit at a bench so all is not lost. Anyway I've decided on a gun and I'm looking for a cheap scope to manage me (if anyone has a very cheap one they don't want please get in touch) after which I will start saving for a bottle but flicking through I keep coming a cross these cheapish 300bar compressors costing around £150. Has anyone got one they can recommend? Anyone know if there any good? Or should they be avoided at all cost cause they are cheap,crap and very dangerous. I know absolutely nothing about compressors other than those you blow your car 🛞 up with so any input would be great fully accepted. Many thanks.
    Daystate Red Wolf .177
    Mtc scope

I bought a Yong Heng clone to fill my PCP about 2 years ago and it's been absolutely fine. As long as they're not overstressed and you change the oil regularly they're just the ticket for filling a rifle.
    Extra filtration is needed, such as the Airmega inline oil/water filter that costs about £35, which is perfectly adequate and what I use.
    I recently took the filler valve out of my rifle to change a leaking seal and there wasn't a drop of water in the cylinder after 2 years of filling with the above setup.

Hello, i have never heard of a PCP compressor blowing up but that is not to say that has not happened, more like just going pop and needing some internal parts, from what i read most compressors are doing a good job, Tuxing seems a brand most people say is good and many are rebranded under another name, i would say there must be a few Chinese companies making PCP compressors, UK Companies that sell PCP Compressors like BSA and Gilbert Distribution must be part of the design process with the Chinese Manufactures , Optics Warehouse sell Tuxing , not sure if Tuxing make the BSA or Gilberts compressors

Having worked on BA compressors in the RAF I was very wary of the cheap Chinese ones when they first hit the market,
    But I bought one a few years ago when a batch went on sale at £40, touch wood it has been fine.
    I always turn on the cooling water pump first, before fitting the fill probe/connecting the rifle, and I always leave it running after use until the temp drops back to ambient.

Hi Max I’ve got one that I fill my bottles with but a guy at shooting range as a oil less one that doesn’t need water but ok for filling guns up with seems to work fine

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    Hello, i have never heard of a PCP compressor blowing up but that is not to say that has not happened, more like just going pop and needing some internal parts, from what i read most compressors are doing a good job, Tuxing seems a brand most people say is good and many are rebranded under another name, i would say there must be a few Chinese companies making PCP compressors, UK Companies that sell PCP Compressors like BSA and Gilbert Distribution must be part of the design process with the Chinese Manufactures , Optics Warehouse sell Tuxing , not sure if Tuxing make the BSA or Gilberts compressors
    Nice one thanks for that M8.
    Daystate Red Wolf .177
    Mtc scope

Quote Originally Posted by MARSH View Post
    Hi Max I’ve got one that I fill my bottles with but a guy at shooting range as a oil less one that doesn’t need water but ok for filling guns up with seems to work fine
    Thanks bud it's been a long time since I spoke to you on here I hope your keeping well and thank you for that I need to look into it a bit more I think before choosing bottle or compressor. Just remembered it's Barry if I'm not mistaken ��
    Daystate Red Wolf .177
    Mtc scope

It is mate it been a long time

I didn’t know they were available so cheap but I see mains powered ones are available from the auction site for £160-£220. It is tempting.

Been given one to top up my gamekeeper but need the quick fit adapter lol

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
    I bought a Yong Heng clone to fill my PCP about 2 years ago and it's been absolutely fine. As long as they're not overstressed and you change the oil regularly they're just the ticket for filling a rifle.
    Extra filtration is needed, such as the Airmega inline oil/water filter that costs about £35, which is perfectly adequate and what I use.
    I recently took the filler valve out of my rifle to change a leaking seal and there wasn't a drop of water in the cylinder after 2 years of filling with the above setup.
    agreed, the yong hengs are pretty decent if looked after, and parts are fairly easy to obtain. I have a couple...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.