Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airguns you have bought....

I like the look of the Hw95

But i just can't seem to get on with it. Don't no why just find it hard to shoot.
    Last edited by muzzle; 16-04-2024 at 06:54 PM.

Interesting thread and comments
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Logun S16 MK2 - constant jams in the mag
    BSA lightning - twangy scew loosener my fault for buying an EU made one

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Oh crikey this is going to be a fair old list

1) Edgun Leshiy Classic
    Felt like a big pistol, awkward for bench rested shooting (yes I know they are a off hand hunter really) also extremely expensive with such a mediocre trigger and I didn’t feel it was good VFM even when they were cheaper a few years ago but nowadays insane money

2) TX200 as AB states unwieldy and awkward which gets tiresome but a damn fine rifle on all other aspects.

3) Prosport, tiresome awkward cocking with prolonged use and I’m still not convinced with the aesthetics mirroring the side profile of a dolphins snout

4) HW95 lovely rifle but always felt something is not quite right be it the cylinder length and stock fit to the tendency of being hold sensitive had some right dogs but also some when worked on were much better.

5) HW57 they could be great but in reality they are bleeding awful even had a glided full monty setup but still found it crap.

6) HW25 the worst trigger I’ve ever used on a Herman it would rival something from the Far East

7) HW30 worst gaulling I’ve ever known on a Herman and I’ve never been convinced with the ball bearing lockup. or piddly trigger block screw but apart from that nice little rifles but unfortunately I just don’t trust them or more so that lockup.

8) HW90 tried a few from new out the box to oldies but still don’t like them far too heavy and that firing cycle is a huge migraine starter after prolonged use.

9) Theoben rammers Fenman/Evo had a few really want to love them but I just can’t do that outlay for a hernia inducing experience with such a mediocre trigger as it really spoils the enjoyment.

That's a fair few, Nick. But then you've had a fair few.
    I think I agree with you and AB about the TX. I'll never sell mine, and it's very accurate, but feels "clumpy", clunks and doesn't feel as natural to me as a 77/97.
    Agree on the 99.

Ones I sold in quick time.....not that many.....a Crosman Vigilante pistol that just wouldn't group and, back in the early 80s, a Vulcan Mk II (mainly due to the trigger).

P.S.....I can't quite remember now what the Vulcan's replacement was. It was either my first HW80 (which I still have) or a FWB127 Sport. As said, mainly due to reservations over the trigger and barrel pivot pin. In recent years I have had the pleasure of trying a few sorted Vulcans at Bash events and find them characterful and pleasurable. Maybe the nostalgia kicking in? But I'd be more than happy to give one a home now.
    Last edited by TonyL; 17-04-2024 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Vulcan.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

This is easy - list all the guns I bought/tried except the few I’ve kept:

HW80; thought it was wonderful until I tried the Zephyr 77
    Zephyr 77; very content until I tried an AA S400
    BSA Air Sporter; only ever a dust collector
    HW100; only criticism is that it and me didn’t gel
    Steyr (tried); can’t remember the model, underwhelmed considering reputation
    FTP900; was my favourite until I tried a Pulsar
    TX200SR (tried) liked it but didn’t buy one
    Ultimate Sporter (tried); already had the Mk4is, so didn’t buy one
    HFT500 (tried); ditto
    TX200 (tried); by this time I’d found PCPs
    HW97 (tried); ditto
    HW110; bought as a sacrificial gun to protect the lovely Mk4is stock, good, but it went

There is a host of other guns I’ve shot that made so little impressions that I can’t even remember the make/model.

The ones I kept:

S400; got my first 250 benchrest score with it. It in bits, trying to put barrel back in action without taking bites out of o-rings, doh!
    MK4is; used for Benchrest LV
    ‘Grannies’ - BSA Standard, Light and Improved Model D; still have the S and Imp Model D - it’s the history (all over a century old - think of what has been achieved, come and gone in that time)
    BSA Ultra; not exceptional but fills the gap of an occasional .22 and to lend to beginners
    Pulsar; can’t see past this for anything except 10yd standing target shooting
    HW30s; the rifle I use for 10yd standing target shooting

Right now, the Pulsar is my go to gun. Considered trying the Red Wolf, but can’t afford it if it was better than the Pulsar.

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Funny that you prefer the 77/97 Tony

I have tried 2 97s and spent a few quid on 1 of them
    I always have to work hard with them
    The TX200 just suits me
    Pete

HW95 .177
    Loved the idea of it. Loved the way it felt in the shoulder. Could not get any consistency from it at all. Had on in .22 as well which was nice but I prefer an 80 so I sold it on.

BSA Superstar .22
    Technically didn't buy it as I won it but I never gelled and it always sat in the locker.

HW95 - just 'felt' wrong
    HW110 - plastic rubbish compared to the HW100
    Theoben rammers - the reality never lived up to my desire for them

the stealth is one that i can remember most

Regards theoben rammers I forgot to add a SLR98 to my list

Probably holds the record for the quickest rifle I’ve ever turned around

Story as thus;

Back in freeads days many many years ago found an as new SLR98 advertised fairly local and luckily it was en route to my then gunclub.

So arranged to view it 1/2 hour before my club session.

Seller seemed genuine and on inspection it was as new a nice setup with scope and bag etc so it was ready to go.

Unfortunately I was running late for the club (too much tea and chat the usual story ) so took the vendor for his word bought it on visual inspection but un-fired as I knew what rammers felt like anyway so wasn’t overly concerned.

Beaming like a Cheshire Cat it was then off to the club for an evening session all excited with my new purchase.

At the club the other members were buzzing around intrigued with another oldskoolzzz purchase

Lane all setup for a session went to cock the rifle and thought Christ this is evil to cock it made a Fenman look easy

After the first magazines worth of lead slung down the range I instantly knew it wasn’t for me.

A member called Tony in the next lane was watching me from the start so I gave him the rifle and said here have a go see what you think.

I seen him smile and that was all I needed to see

I never did go home with that SLR

Forgot about the pistols as well.

Had many that came and went usually the same old story very poor triggers…..

Umarex Trevox and Buckmark spring to mind.

Some you would need to setup two or three targets one for where you aim and the other targets for where the awful trigger pulls the shot

Either that or a bigger barn door is required

Theoben (C)Rapid M2 in .22 FAC.

I was in the market for a new FAC air rifle. Was never a big fan of buddy bottle guns anyway and the very basic almost amateurish look to the stock always made me look at other stuff but I gave in to all the tales of how simple, reliable and accurate they were and thought "Ah well, a thousand BBSers can't all be wrong" and purchased one.

Trigger not the best, moderator not great but annoyingly was glued on so no real chance of fitting a better one. Accuracy certainly no better than any other PCP I'd owned and boy are Rapids ugly ..etc.

Offloaded it within 3 months. The stupidest and most pointless air rifle purchase I'd ever made.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That's a fair few, Nick. But then you've had a fair few.
    I think I agree with you and AB about the TX. I'll never sell mine, and it's very accurate, but feels "clumpy", clunks and doesn't feel as natural to me as a 77/97.
    Agree on the 99.

Ones I sold in quick time.....not that many.....a Crosman Vigilante pistol that just wouldn't group and, back in the early 80s, a Vulcan Mk II (mainly due to the trigger).

P.S.....I can't quite remember now what the Vulcan's replacement was. It was either my first HW80 (which I still have) or a FWB127 Sport. As said, mainly due to reservations over the trigger and barrel pivot pin. In recent years I have had the pleasure of trying a few sorted Vulcans at Bash events and find them characterful and pleasurable. Maybe the nostalgia kicking in? But I'd be more than happy to give one a home now.
    You jogged my memory with pistols Tone.

Regards the TX I can’t remember if I’ve ever tried the mk1 version which I think would probably suit me better as that ABT really annoys me on the mk2 and mk3

I’m sure a chap at my club had a SR version but unfortunately was a dedicated LH setup which although I’m ambidextrous I’m right eye dominant which means I always tend to shoot RH although I quite liked that SR with the brief encounter but this was many years ago now.

I saw an air rifle a couple of days ago that wouldn't match my expectations, £4530

Because for that money I'd expect it to get up, run over collect the rabbits, skin them & bring them in fully prepared

An HW35: My first Airgun purchase. A massive disapointment. I could never get it to run consistently. Turned out it had a porous breach. I would still like to try a decent one.

2 x BSA Mercurys. I have never got on with them. In fact I should sell them.

An HW77. Although bought new, there must have been something wrong with it as even adjusting the windage on the open sights to the max, it still wouldn't hit the centre of the target.It was sent back.

An HW95. An early one in .177 with the barrel weight. Bought secondhand from this site to replace the HW77 but never seemed to live up to it's billing. Sent it Dave Hall ( Bonnie & Clyde) for both trigger and tune work. A total tranformation. So nice it is "boring" in a very good way! After it was run in after fettling it was so boring I sent it back for more work as I thought the power was way down. In fact it was running 2.5 over and had to be dialled back.