Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airguns you have bought....

Airguns you have bought....

What airguns did you buy, use but didn't reach your expectations ?
    I bought a Datstate Airwolf Tactical in .177. Not a cheap gun but pellet on pellet all day long. I also bought the same in .22 after a hunting incident with the .177. Both these rifles met my expectations at the time,with the adage of ' you get what you pay for '. I didn't expect the tactical finish to get tacky on both rifles. Here ended my association with Datstate. Never thought about buying a Datstate again.

TX200, shooting sites rave about them, while accurate, I found it heavy, unwieldy, awkward & generally not pleasant to shoot.

A Hatsan springer, can't remember which, terrible in more than one way ...

Hatsan Factor.
    Had everything I wanted, large magazine, large bottle, adjustable stock and a hard case.
    Biggest let down.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Born Again is online now Owns three Roy orbison albums
    BSA Airsporter S. I really wanted one as a youngster, and I still like the look of it, but it isn't as great to shoot as I'd imagined.

Worst ever was Sussex Armoury Jackal. Truly horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    What airguns did you buy, use but didn't reach your expectations ?
    Oh crikey this is going to be a fair old list

1) Edgun Leshiy Classic
    Felt like a big pistol, awkward for bench rested shooting (yes I know they are a off hand hunter really) also extremely expensive with such a mediocre trigger and I didn’t feel it was good VFM even when they were cheaper a few years ago but nowadays insane money

2) TX200 as AB states unwieldy and awkward which gets tiresome but a damn fine rifle on all other aspects.

3) Prosport, tiresome awkward cocking with prolonged use and I’m still not convinced with the aesthetics mirroring the side profile of a dolphins snout

4) HW95 lovely rifle but always felt something is not quite right be it the cylinder length and stock fit to the tendency of being hold sensitive had some right dogs but also some when worked on were much better.

5) HW57 they could be great but in reality they are bleeding awful even had a glided full monty setup but still found it crap.

6) HW25 the worst trigger I’ve ever used on a Herman it would rival something from the Far East

7) HW30 worst gaulling I’ve ever known on a Herman and I’ve never been convinced with the ball bearing lockup. or piddly trigger block screw but apart from that nice little rifles but unfortunately I just don’t trust them or more so that lockup.

8) HW90 tried a few from new out the box to oldies but still don’t like them far too heavy and that firing cycle is a huge migraine starter after prolonged use.

9) Theoben rammers Fenman/Evo had a few really want to love them but I just can’t do that outlay for a hernia inducing experience with such a mediocre trigger as it really spoils the enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Oh crikey this is going to be a fair old list

1) Edgun Leshiy Classic
    Felt like a big pistol, awkward for bench rested shooting (yes I know they are a off hand hunter really) also extremely expensive with such a mediocre trigger and I didn’t feel it was good VFM even when they were cheaper a few years ago but nowadays insane money

2) TX200 as AB states unwieldy and awkward which gets tiresome but a damn fine rifle on all other aspects.

3) Prosport, tiresome awkward cocking with prolonged use and I’m still not convinced with the aesthetics mirroring the side profile of a dolphins snout

4) HW95 lovely rifle but always felt something is not quite right be it the cylinder length and stock fit to the tendency of being hold sensitive had some right dogs but also some when worked on were much better.

5) HW57 they could be great but in reality they are bleeding awful even had a glided full monty setup but still found it crap.

6) HW25 the worst trigger I’ve ever used on a Herman it would rival something from the Far East

7) HW30 worst gaulling I’ve ever known on a Herman and I’ve never been convinced with the ball bearing lockup. or piddly trigger block screw but apart from that nice little rifles but unfortunately I just don’t trust them or more so that lockup.

8) HW90 tried a few from new out the box to oldies but still don’t like them far too heavy and that firing cycle is a huge migraine starter after prolonged use.

9) Theoben rammers Fenman/Evo had a few really want to love them but I just can’t do that outlay for a hernia inducing experience with such a mediocre trigger as it really spoils the enjoyment.
    With you on a few of the above rifles, Hw95, had a few and just can’t get on with them at all and in my opinion Hw99 is far better and had a few and always got on well with them
    Theoben rammers, had 2 fenmans back in the day new from theoben and had problems with both leaking after a short time and like you say the triggers were awful too with such a stupidly over sprung first stage that it was nigh on impossible to feel the stop for the second stage on mine…

Quote Originally Posted by vestlenning View Post
    A Hatsan springer, can't remember which, terrible in more than one way ...
    Exactly
    Traded it for a pistol.
    Open Channel D

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    With you on a few of the above rifles, Hw95, had a few and just can’t get on with them at all and in my opinion Hw99 is far better and had a few and always got on well with them
    Theoben rammers, had 2 fenmans back in the day new from theoben and had problems with both leaking after a short time and like you say the triggers were awful too with such a stupidly over sprung first stage that it was nigh on impossible to feel the stop for the second stage on mine…
    Sometimes we just click with certain rifles I’m a big fan of the 99 and it’s by far the best break barrel I’ve ever found so far when everything is in comparison eg weight, balance, perfect sub 12 power, trigger and especially the price new or even better used.

Granted it might need 20mins of fettling just to make sure all is well but in reality it’s well worth doing.

Must be 20 years now I’ve had the pleasure of many 99’s even back in the days when they were sneered at which I could never understand why the first time I shouldered one (used in a RFD) not knowing anything about them, I was instantly intrigued and bought it on the spot then the first time I fired it, I was hooked and have now lost count how many 99’s have come and gone in those 20 years

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Theoben Rapid. I had wanted one since I very first saw them, but didn’t get one until about 2015. The biggest problem with it was that I had had many quality PCP’s by that point, and every single one of them did everything better than the Rapid did.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    HW98. As accurate as anything I have used but just didn't gell
    Diana mauser 97. Poor build quality and design (and instruction to put 2 drops of oil into the cylinder via the transfer port every 500 shots)
    On the other hand my TX200 HC is my go to
    Pete

2 spring to mind.
    1. BSA Superstar, total junk compared to the 77.
    2. Cant believe I am going to say this as I am such a fan. Rapid 7 Mk1 .22, already had the Rapid 17 FT and had gelled with it. I swapped the Taunus for the Rapid 7. Brand new too. Not sure whether it was the balance, the trigger or the calibre. It went and that was the last .22 I ever owned. Have shot several others since then and liked them so still a fan.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Theoben Rapid. I had wanted one since I very first saw them, but didn’t get one until about 2015. The biggest problem with it was that I had had many quality PCP’s by that point, and every single one of them did everything better than the Rapid did.
    I still have a soft spot for the Rapid as it was my first ever PCP decades ago but I get where you are coming from Tinners.

I went the Daystate route after the Rapid and must confess I actually preferred them in that golden Daystate era of the noughties.

Airwolfs and Air Rangers I always found better than the Rapid and even going round and round in circles I agree they also did everything better than the rapid.

Ironically I got offered another Rapid recently which was tempting but I know I’d be looking to at least fit an after market gauge and QF setup as the only pcp I’ve ever owned that’s let me down in the field was a blooming rapid of all things.

HW98 the 16 inch barrel version not the new 12 inch barrel.
    TX200
    AA Prosport

Mach 1.5

Most.
    Probably bought 60 rifles over the years, all springers. Have only six left, and might have kept another eight. Most sold because they were at best just "average" and hard work to get to tac drivingly accurate, or just wouldn't. Most shot to their build expectations, which was fair. Most of the issue is that I wanted more than they delivered. It was fun seeing what they could do though.