Thread: Airguns you have bought....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This is easy - list all the guns I bought/tried except the few I’ve kept:

HW80; thought it was wonderful until I tried the Zephyr 77
    Zephyr 77; very content until I tried an AA S400
    BSA Air Sporter; only ever a dust collector
    HW100; only criticism is that it and me didn’t gel
    Steyr (tried); can’t remember the model, underwhelmed considering reputation
    FTP900; was my favourite until I tried a Pulsar
    TX200SR (tried) liked it but didn’t buy one
    Ultimate Sporter (tried); already had the Mk4is, so didn’t buy one
    HFT500 (tried); ditto
    TX200 (tried); by this time I’d found PCPs
    HW97 (tried); ditto
    HW110; bought as a sacrificial gun to protect the lovely Mk4is stock, good, but it went

There is a host of other guns I’ve shot that made so little impressions that I can’t even remember the make/model.

The ones I kept:

S400; got my first 250 benchrest score with it. It in bits, trying to put barrel back in action without taking bites out of o-rings, doh!
    MK4is; used for Benchrest LV
    ‘Grannies’ - BSA Standard, Light and Improved Model D; still have the S and Imp Model D - it’s the history (all over a century old - think of what has been achieved, come and gone in that time)
    BSA Ultra; not exceptional but fills the gap of an occasional .22 and to lend to beginners
    Pulsar; can’t see past this for anything except 10yd standing target shooting
    HW30s; the rifle I use for 10yd standing target shooting

Right now, the Pulsar is my go to gun. Considered trying the Red Wolf, but can’t afford it if it was better than the Pulsar.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Funny that you prefer the 77/97 Tony

I have tried 2 97s and spent a few quid on 1 of them
    I always have to work hard with them
    The TX200 just suits me
    Pete

HW95 .177
    Loved the idea of it. Loved the way it felt in the shoulder. Could not get any consistency from it at all. Had on in .22 as well which was nice but I prefer an 80 so I sold it on.

BSA Superstar .22
    Technically didn't buy it as I won it but I never gelled and it always sat in the locker.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That's a fair few, Nick. But then you've had a fair few.
    I think I agree with you and AB about the TX. I'll never sell mine, and it's very accurate, but feels "clumpy", clunks and doesn't feel as natural to me as a 77/97.
    Agree on the 99.

Ones I sold in quick time.....not that many.....a Crosman Vigilante pistol that just wouldn't group and, back in the early 80s, a Vulcan Mk II (mainly due to the trigger).

P.S.....I can't quite remember now what the Vulcan's replacement was. It was either my first HW80 (which I still have) or a FWB127 Sport. As said, mainly due to reservations over the trigger and barrel pivot pin. In recent years I have had the pleasure of trying a few sorted Vulcans at Bash events and find them characterful and pleasurable. Maybe the nostalgia kicking in? But I'd be more than happy to give one a home now.
    You jogged my memory with pistols Tone.

Regards the TX I can’t remember if I’ve ever tried the mk1 version which I think would probably suit me better as that ABT really annoys me on the mk2 and mk3

I’m sure a chap at my club had a SR version but unfortunately was a dedicated LH setup which although I’m ambidextrous I’m right eye dominant which means I always tend to shoot RH although I quite liked that SR with the brief encounter but this was many years ago now.

I saw an air rifle a couple of days ago that wouldn't match my expectations, £4530

Because for that money I'd expect it to get up, run over collect the rabbits, skin them & bring them in fully prepared

An HW35: My first Airgun purchase. A massive disapointment. I could never get it to run consistently. Turned out it had a porous breach. I would still like to try a decent one.

2 x BSA Mercurys. I have never got on with them. In fact I should sell them.

An HW77. Although bought new, there must have been something wrong with it as even adjusting the windage on the open sights to the max, it still wouldn't hit the centre of the target.It was sent back.

An HW95. An early one in .177 with the barrel weight. Bought secondhand from this site to replace the HW77 but never seemed to live up to it's billing. Sent it Dave Hall ( Bonnie & Clyde) for both trigger and tune work. A total tranformation. So nice it is "boring" in a very good way! After it was run in after fettling it was so boring I sent it back for more work as I thought the power was way down. In fact it was running 2.5 over and had to be dialled back.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I saw an air rifle a couple of days ago that wouldn't match my expectations, £4530

Because for that money I'd expect it to get up, run over collect the rabbits, skin them & bring them in fully prepared

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    What was it AB ? I think that's the highest price I've ever seen being asked for an air rifle
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177