Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Damaged HW's

Fire Damaged HW's

Heard a story a few months ago about some HW's being damaged in a fire from the water of the fire crew of course. It seems they are now hitting the market as I've now seen a HW99 and two HW30's. Seems the person or persons who brought them have spared the actions with car paint to hide any rust marks!! Buyers beware.
    Mach 1.5

Thanks for the heads up Paul.

Pete didn't start the fire, did he?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post

I heard he was all set to go into full attack mode with his angle grinder. It packed up so he just set fire to the place in a mad rage of panic. Bless!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Heard a story a few months ago about some HW's being damaged in a fire from the water of the fire crew of course. It seems they are now hitting the market as I've now seen a HW99 and two HW30's. Seems the person or persons who brought them have spared the actions with car paint to hide any rust marks!! Buyers beware.
    Mach 1.5
    As mentioned thanks for the heads up Paul.

I can’t see any mention of the HW35 Tone

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    If one was sold legitimately I'd be intrigued to get one just to see how it was effected but selling one hidden isn't just dishonest, it could be downright dangerous as high heat and sudden cooling can change the properties of materials potentially weakening them.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    As mentioned thanks for the heads up Paul.

I can’t see any mention of the HW35 Tone
    I think he got to them with his tool first, Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    If one was sold legitimately I'd be intrigued to get one just to see how it was effected but selling one hidden isn't just dishonest, it could be downright dangerous as high heat and sudden cooling can change the properties of materials potentially weakening them.

It's just Pete's way of trying to make a HW perform as badly as a BSA.

The fires been burning since the world's been turning. Pete didn't start the fire...

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Not guilty my Lord.

If it had been me, I would have done the job properly and used explosives

With a smattering of napalm.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    No comment
    Pete

From what I have heard they were sold off by the insurance company, fire damaged.
    The boxes got wet but not burnt.

I think I read about someone buying one from an auction. Looked new with tags on but spoiled.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

CLOGGER is offline Ex proud Yorkshireman, Now soft southern shandy drinker
    I saw quite a few of these at a certain auction house near Stroud a few weeks ago.
    There were HW99's, 95's, 97's, 77k's, 57's and 30's. All of them had the hanging labels/tags on them, and appeared ok in the online photos before I went to view on site.
    When I went to view a couple of other guns the day before the auction, it was obvious that most of the break barrel rifles had suffered water damage on the metal work causing patches of deep pitting, which had then been cleaned out before the actions were resprayed in a satin black paint.
    The underlevers were in a similar state, but also had corrosion visible on the exposed part of the compression tubes as seen in the loading ports.
    I did think it rather underhand that nowhere was any mention made to this disguised damage, they all went for highish figures, and I felt that the online buyers were going to be very disappointed when their purchases arrived at home (I was also in the room on the auction day, and I don't recall anyone there bidding more than a pittance for any of these guns).

Also of note, there was an idiot chap who was picking up rifles and pulling triggers - 3 times I ducked as I heard PCP's that still contained air being fired (luckily without pellets in them), before I reported him to seemingly oblivious auction house staff!

Unfortunately I didn't get the Webley Longbow that I'd wanted, as it went way beyond what I was prepared to pay for it

Best regards, Clogger

Quote Originally Posted by CLOGGER View Post
    I saw quite a few of these at a certain auction house near Stroud a few weeks ago.
    There were HW99's, 95's, 97's, 77k's, 57's and 30's. All of them had the hanging labels/tags on them, and appeared ok in the online photos before I went to view on site.
    When I went to view a couple of other guns the day before the auction, it was obvious that most of the break barrel rifles had suffered water damage on the metal work causing patches of deep pitting, which had then been cleaned out before the actions were resprayed in a satin black paint.
    The underlevers were in a similar state, but also had corrosion visible on the exposed part of the compression tubes as seen in the loading ports.
    I did think it rather underhand that nowhere was any mention made to this disguised damage, they all went for highish figures, and I felt that the online buyers were going to be very disappointed when their purchases arrived at home (I was also in the room on the auction day, and I don't recall anyone there bidding more than a pittance for any of these guns).

Also of note, there was an idiot chap who was picking up rifles and pulling triggers - 3 times I ducked as I heard PCP's that still contained air being fired (luckily without pellets in them), before I reported him to seemingly oblivious auction house staff!

Unfortunately I didn't get the Webley Longbow that I'd wanted, as it went way beyond what I was prepared to pay for it

Best regards, Clogger
    Crikey

As Paul (Mach) stated on the OP defiantly ‘Buyers Beware’