Thread: Sling parts

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed

Sling parts

Another day another Ponder, I was thinking about Die Hard and it's use of MP5s while working on my Beretta and how John Mclane uses Christmas parcel tape to strap one to his back and a light bulb went off in my head.
    It will be something I can't do until later in the year as the Tape will be more abundant and cheaper but I know how to create pleather with it (can do it with drinks bottle lables too) but can you just buy the Ends and adjustment rings for slings? That may I can make it stronger and have the full get up if Santa gets me a Machine Gun for christmas (or more likely me buy it myself and not tell the Mrs I just spent nearly 200 quid on a rep for plinking).
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Nevermind. Nothing Lasts Forever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bongo View Post
    Nevermind. Nothing Lasts Forever.....
    If you mean the pleather, done right it lasts aslong and sometimes longer as commercially made stuff as its essentially the same stuff, bonded together with heat which you can then stitch to re-enforce, had a Wallet made using Dr Pepper labels that lasted donkeys years.

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    No, it was just a vague reference to the fact that the movie Die Hard was based on a book called Nothing Lasts Forever.

What are you thinking, stick it on your back?

Three point sling comes to mind.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bongo View Post
    No, it was just a vague reference to the fact that the movie Die Hard was based on a book called Nothing Lasts Forever.
    Ah got you, sorry I'm a bit slow these days lol

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    What are you thinking, stick it on your back?

Three point sling comes to mind.
    Not quite lol, more a homage, basically it'd be a conventional sling with the pleather made from the tape (I can dig out a video to show how it's done), it's just a bit of a pig to make the strong points where the rings attach to the Guns mounts and then theres the ring for size adjustment, I was just wondering if these parts can be brought rather than kill another perfectly good sling for them.
    Technically this idea would work for a Red Ryder too, especially the Christmas Wish variants and swap the tape for labels and you've got something for the fizz fans too.

Been reseaching some, with an actual HK style mount clip it looks to accomadate potentially a wider section than your average quick release one so I might be able to get away with just using a flexible adhesive with a box stitch to make the ends, just leaves the sizing ring and connecting ring (based on making it sizeable like my Tourbon one).

Born Again is offline Owns three Roy orbison albums
    If you can get to your local tip with a stanley knife blade then you can probably get yourself some top quality leather from an old sofa. The great thing about real leather is that is can be joined very easily and strong with superglue.

I made some satchels and bags with my grand kids from hide from an old sofa, to hold catapault ammo, they turned out great, the kids loved doing it. One thing, be careful when holding superglued leather together, it exotherms, gets very hot.

Don't worry I've felt the joys of that several times where it's dripped on clothing, in this case it's not so much pleather vs leather, it's wanting to make a homage sling but I have recycled leather in the past, my SAK pouch is made from an old pair of my Mothers boots along with the wrist brace on one of my old Black widows (not yet found them, the custom ones seen recently are ones donated to me) and I did have a stash of it somewhere but like usual I couldn't tell you where it went.
    There is also a pair of E46 seats in the Garden, you wouldn't want them in your show car but the hides still reasonable for being in the elements, I'll probably grab the headrest off one to do Slingshot pouches when I sort bands and finally carve the flat bander (just not managed to get to the woods with the apple trees yet, need to arrange a helper for it too).

The Pleather when made will be compareable to a PU belt, plenty strong aslong as you aren't stupidly abusive with it, It will stitch the same as leather although I'll probably be wanting to get a machine to it as it'll be muder on the hands, the other added joy is needing to be careful with the heat damaging the design so I'll create the 'core' first using heavy duty Bin liners and then add the outer tape layer and possibly a clear layer for protection from wear on the design.

Heres basically how the process works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-7grMXIXs0