Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is going to be a long thread - bitza build - can you guess what it is yet ?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It's so close, I can taste it....

As is often the way with things, a lot of the remaining small jobs are going to take some time, including making a trigger guard, rear barrel support, and finishing the stock. But at least I can take it to the range now !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Fantastic work, Jon. You should be very happy and proud with this achievement.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

What are you going to do about the turned down bit of the barrel that goes into the breach block ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    What are you going to do about the turned down bit of the barrel that goes into the breach block ?
    a tappered collar (that's the rear barrel support I mention), a bit like a pro target:
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

kevG is offline Longest unaltered member...
    very nice,you have made a silk purse out of a sow,s ear.
    kevG

Quote Originally Posted by kevG View Post
    very nice,you have made a silk purse out of a sow,s ear.
    kevG
    cheers Kev, your advice on that other thread helped... small port defo needed...

Very nice Jon , how about a reflex shroud, tidy it up and quieten it down at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Very nice Jon , how about a reflex shroud, tidy it up and quieten it down at the same time.
    I did think about that, as they did do a shrouded version, and there's a decent gap between the barrel and the cylinder... but I'll start with the KISS option

took it to the range today...

Tried JSB 8.44 and JSB heavies.. man it was like a shotgun, 4" groups at 30 yards, which worried me a bit...

then tried QYS... 1/2" groups. OK, this is promising... Baraccuda 8s, also 1/2" groups. Bearing in mind the constant pellet switching, the barrel with a load of crap probably still in it, along with a very vague "break" point on the trigger, I'm fine with that. Got to sort that trigger with a WW or CDT blade, now I know the accuracy is "worth it " !

Ergomics of the stock and the balance are all good too, so things are looking really promising... just got to finish off all the little jobs now...

Very promising indeed, Jon. And project gone from an idea to very nearly fully completed in super-quick time. Nice one.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    but I'll start with the KISS option
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Another couple of jobs done.. the reg / adapter cover reinstalled after a little machining, and a donor trigger guard pressed (well bent) into service. Still trying to decide on that, but it'll do for the moment !

Importantly, as the inletting around these last parts is now completed, it means I can now get into finishing the stock... wish me luck !

That really is rather epic!

Love it.
    At times I cant believe the knowledge, ingenuity and engineering ability of members on here.
    Fantastic.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Thanks, but trust me, there's far less ability than just blind hope and "let's give it a go" attitude at play here...

Made some good progress today.. the CDT trigger blade arrived from Dr Bob, so I now have a two stage trigger with a predicatable let off. Kinda felt like cheating when I'd made everything else myself, but it works very well.
    I also made up the rear conical support for the barrel (and gave it a quick blast of matt black spray paint), and whilst it was out, I reamed the throat a bit deeper, to get rid of some notchiness loading some larger / harder pellet types.. it certainly seems to have helped.