Thread: Has anyone taken the plastic silencer off of a Remington Express XP or Sabre?

Has anyone taken the plastic silencer off of a Remington Express XP or Sabre?

The question's as in the title really. I just wondered what's underneath the factory silencer on some of the Express and Sabre models? I think they'd benefit from a nicer looking mod'.

What’s underneath is not pretty. The barrel has been gouged for part length of mod, and the mod bonded too it. Imagine hacking at the barrel with angle grinder as it revolved in a lathe The only way is to cut the lot off at the start of the mod and start again.

I have thought about this myself. Would it be possible to place the mod in a lathe and cut it out as such? I'm no engineer so please ignore me if this is stupid (it wouldn't be the most stupid thing I've posted this week).😄

It's easier just to cut it off, then smooth the end and cut a new crown. Either leave for a push on mod or thread for a screw on.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    It's easier just to cut it off, then smooth the end and cut a new crown. Either leave for a push on mod or thread for a screw on.
    What he said
    What's underneath looks like the twists on a drill bit.
    The plastic silencer is molded onto the twists
    Removing it is destructive process.
    Best to cut the barrel, true it up with a hand file & re-crown.
    A dab of cold blue to keep out the rust off the bare end
    You will still be left with 12.5 to 13 inches of good barrel for a slip-on silencer & that will give you back some of the leverage you had before, when the barrel was 19 inches long

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    What’s underneath is not pretty. The barrel has been gouged for part length of mod, and the mod bonded too it. Imagine hacking at the barrel with angle grinder as it revolved in a lathe The only way is to cut the lot off at the start of the mod and start again.
    No doubt done to increase the grip when bonded, it might be possible to machine the surface smooth again.

No, it was done so it couldn't be removed in certain States where removable silencers are illegal apparantley. You can own a AK47 but not a seperate moderated air rifle.
    There wouldn't be a lot of barrel thickness left if it was lathed out. As I said, chop it and start again. They are a bl**dy mess, believe me.

Best to chop the barrel and add a slip on silencer.
    That will get the overall barrel length back up to around 17 inches.
    It's a breakbarrel, so you need the mechanical advantage of a longer lever to make the cocking stroke easily manageable.
    Been there, done that (see also Lyn Lewington's AR1 conversions)

Hacked and chiselled the ghastly thing off my Sabre, got down to the grooves, but left the barrel intact. I then modified an old custom silencer I had been given so it covered the grooves, it isn't really much of a silencer now, but looks much better and I still have the mechanical advantage for cocking.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    How deep are the grooves ? As per AB, why could you not turn that section of the barrel down until the grooves were removed - say it might be down to 12mm OD - and then sleave it back up with a bit of steel tube, bonded on with green loctite. Turn it down to match the rest of the barrel OD.

For sure you need a lathe, but it feels do-able if you wanted to retain the barrel length.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

If the intention is to fit a good slip on mod, there would be no need to machine down in to the grooves,
    simply turn it down until the surface is level with the rest of the barrel, & then cover the area with a slip-on mod.
    Not perfect, but an option.

The area under the mod is a smaller diameter than the good section of the barrel
    Turning it down will likely:-
    1) produce a section that is too thin to be strong enough and / or
    2) after the addition of a slip on moderator, leave you with a ridiculously long barrel
    Hence my advice remains carbine it and add a slip on moderator

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by steveiep View Post
    The area under the mod is a smaller diameter than the good section of the barrel
    Turning it down will likely:-
    1) produce a section that is too thin to be strong enough and / or
    2) after the addition of a slip on moderator, leave you with a ridiculously long barrel
    Hence my advice remains carbine it and add a slip on moderator
    makes sense....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by steveiep View Post
    Shame you didn't provide that gem as part of your first post on the subject