Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should an HW break barrel breech seal last

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

How long should an HW break barrel breech seal last

It seems that every few years I have to change the breech seal on my 80 because it loses fps and when I change them, they crumble is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    It seems that every few years I have to change the breech seal on my 80 because it loses fps and when I change them, they crumble is that normal?

Not a springer expert but literally every couple of years doesn't sound right
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Not a springer expert but literally every couple of years doesn't sound right
    That's what I thought, the seals look OK until you start to remove them.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    10 years min to crumble, probably more. They don't even harden for like 5 years. maybe it was left in the sun ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    10 years min to crumble, probably more. They don't even harden for like 5 years. maybe it was left in the sun ?
    That's two I have had now and not left in the sun

Looks like the one I took out of my 97, like old cheese it was.

Replaced it with a Br1t Seal, did the piston seal too & saw a 2 ft/lb improvement. I wouldn't bother replacing seals with standard ones, after market ones are better.

Why is the common abbreviation for British not allowed ?

Do not sell this man any air guns no matter what he says

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Just lay a sheet of bog paper over the breech. If it moves attend to the reason.

I once had a piece blown to bits....
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Well, in my experience the genuine HW ones last a very long time......

One of my 95s.....bought new in 1995. Fitted V-Mach kit in 2014. It was still shooting brilliantly, and very consistently two years ago. So, breech seal about 27 years old!

Conversely, in 2019, a "supposedly genuine HW" one in a 35 lasted two months!

P.S...the 95.....although the seal looked flattened and to be well past its best, it was still quite pliable and, as said, still performed very well.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

What lubricant do you use?
    Could it be deteriorated by lubricant?
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Just lay a sheet of bog paper over the breech. If it moves attend to the reason.

I once had a piece blown to bits....
    You need Izal.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    I did wonder that, but the breech only gets an occasional wipe with Parker-Hale Express Gun Oil.

Tony, 27 years that's amazing The broken seals in the pic did look OK and worked I only decided to change them because the fps was inconsistent, I wonder if you tried to remove your old ones they would crumble, I have now fitted a new standard seal and the fps are consistent, but I'm thinking of getting a heavy-duty seal from somewhere if they are easy to get, I have had almost indestructible Diana breech seals from Terry Robb but not HW.

I did wonder that, but the breech only gets an occasional wipe with Parker-Hale Express Gun Oil.

Tony, 27 years that's amazing The broken seals in the pic did look OK and worked I only decided to change them because the fps was inconsistent, I wonder if you tried to remove your old ones they would crumble, I have now fitted a new standard seal and the fps are consistent, but I'm thinking of getting a heavy-duty seal from somewhere if they are easy to get, I have had almost indestructible Diana breech seals from Terry Robb but not HW.
    Nope. When I removed that old seal from the 95, despite it looking well flattened, it was still soft and flexible, Barry. Although, outwardly, it looked to be past its best it was still working well and, I suspect, would have carried on doing so for a good while longer.

The aforementioned one that wasn't very old from the 35 was, I suspect, a seal made for the supplier as opposed to a genuine Weihrauch one.

I also wonder how some stockists might store seals.

The worst one I ever saw was one from a Webley Stingray a couple of years ago that I looked at for a friend. It had gone very dry and hard and little fragments had to be carefully removed using a cocktail stick.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    I would well imagine that some lubes wouldn't be a seal's best friend, Neil.

Obvious answer would be stop using it, or change to a different product, & see if it makes a difference, a good wipe of silicone grease, just to the rubber seal, before fitting might help a bit.

My 2008 HW80 and my 2009 HW95 are still on their original breech seals.

Normal gun oils are made for metal lubrication and preservation, not lubrication of synthetics.
    Wrong lube seems to be the obvious problem here.

Or do you want us to realise that Diana seals are better than HW seals???
    Too many airguns!