Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting a Welsh Willy kit to an '86 Supersport

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed

Fitting a Welsh Willy kit to an '86 Supersport

I'm finally getting to it, I'm going to clean down the work area to make it clean enough to open the old girl up and just wanted to be sure before hand I've got everything I could possibly need.
    Right now she's shooting nicely so I don't plan to do repairs on anything, just fit the kit, I've got a Sash Clamp, most basic tools, a punch set and the kit itself, anything else I'll need based on that?
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A notched broom handle or similar to release the spring pressure from the pin, degreaser and a chrono. Don’t forget to check power before before starting as well.

Bon Chance!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Can't really afford a Chrono right now, Notched broomhandle? Any pics of what it looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Can't really afford a Chrono right now, Notched broomhandle? Any pics of what it looks like?
    Then you need to ask yourself if you should be mucking around inside the gun?
    When you get the plastic cover off at the rear you will see what you need

Simple answer to that would be I'd find a place to Chrono it if it was absolutely nessacery and I think I get what you mean as I've got schematics for something like that for the Daisy, it is a pronged tool to take tension off the spring block which I'm guessing is its version of the pin.
    Do I need to get some grease on hand? I've got some copper anti slip stuff and oil wise 10w60 and bog standard 3 in 1 but not much else as not worked on much in years thats required it.

Been doing a little searching on youtube and watched a Chap do it on a Tx200, shows molygrease packed in so I'll check the pack Dan sent me and grab some more should I need it, he did offer to send me tools too so I'm wondering if he meant the broomhandle thing, I'll text him tomorrow and check as I'll have the Car then too to pick things up.

Less is best! Here’s a link that may help

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/uncateg...ringer-132980/

Ah yes the infamous Bum slide, I remember seeing that before lol, I'll take a look and don't worry I know it just wants a tickle otherwise you introduce resistance.
    Just want to be sure I get everything right as it's somewhat my best Rifle and was given to me to learn to work on Guns with.

As Nick mentioned earlier, you really could do with access to a chrono. Before and after readings are important as they'll tell you if you have improved things or not. Much more importantly you need to ensure you don't go over the limir. Supersports, especially in .22, can easily and comfortably exceed our 12ft.lbs limit. When I fitted a new standard spring (and TbT guides) to my 1986 .22 version, it was exceeding the limit by a wide margin yet felt very civilised to shoot. Two shortenings later it shoots at just below the limit with its most efficient pellet and feels very benign.
    As also mentioned, you need that "stepped prong" to push down on the rear of the spring guide whilst clearing the pin. Beware that some of the pins in the trigger mechanism might be loose and fall out. And pay attention to trigger parts orientation as you'll most likely need to remove them to get the piston out. Looking at some images and schematics will help there.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Your kit should have some of Willy's grease in it Segata. If you don't have a suitable spring compressing tool Don't try to remove the spring. What I would do for now is take photos of the trigger layout and disassemble then refit it with extra pictures so that you can put it together and are familiar with the layout.
    The tool that Nick is talking about is a tube or rod smaller than the internal diameter of the cylinder. The end of this tool going into the cylinder has a cut out slightly bigger than the large pin that holds the spring in.
    DON'T MESS WITH THAT PIN UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
    Using your compressing device.
    The tool broom handle or metal tube or strengthened plastic tube pushes the spring guide and spring past the pin enabling it to be wangled loose* and pulled out. *Do you like my expert engineering terms?
    Then you wind back the tension until the whole lot comes out.

If you are using a sash clamp and home made pin clearing tool be prepared for the spring popping out so be ready for bouncing bits*
    Safety glasse would be a good precaution.

I have to say this is based on doing Meteors which have the same arrangement but a probably softer spring. I have not done a Supersport yet.
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 19-04-2024 at 08:28 AM. Reason: missed a bit
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Thanks Gents, guess I best make this tool before I clean up the work area then, recken some old Cabinet wood would do? Otherwise I'll try and buy an appropiate broom handle or pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    Your kit should have some of Willy's grease in it Segata. If you don't have a suitable spring compressing tool Don't try to remove the spring. What I would do for now is take photos of the trigger layout and disassemble then refit it with extra pictures so that you can put it together and are familiar with the layout.
    The tool that Nick is talking about is a tube or rod smaller than the internal diameter of the cylinder. The end of this tool going into the cylinder has a cut out slightly bigger than the large pin that holds the spring in.
    DON'T MESS WITH THAT PIN UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.
    Using your compressing device.
    The tool broom handle or metal tube or strengthened plastic tube pushes the spring guide and spring past the pin enabling it to be wangled loose* and pulled out. *Do you like my expert engineering terms?
    Then you wind back the tension until the whole lot comes out.

If you are using a sash clamp and home made pin clearing tool be prepared for the spring popping out so be ready for bouncing bits*
    Safety glasse would be a good precaution.

I have to say this is based on doing Meteors which have the same arrangement but a probably softer spring. I have not done a Supersport yet.
    And there's a bit more to the Supersport trigger.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    Thanks Gents, guess I best make this tool before I clean up the work area then, recken some old Cabinet wood would do? Otherwise I'll try and buy an appropiate broom handle or pipe.
    Some strong, hard wood would definitely do.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    And there's a bit more to the Supersport trigger.
    That's why I suggested a dry run with photos. I looked at the parts diagrams and immediately had to run to the toilet.
    This is where the Rekord wins hands down. All in one just make sure you reset it.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

If you have a 3d printer there's a BSA spring compressor adaptor on Thingiverse.
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger