Thread: CO2 Bulk Fill Tips?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

CO2 Bulk Fill Tips?

Got my old B96 out of storage and found I’d run out of capsules, so filled it from a SodaStream bottle. The shot count was low about 35 or 40, it should be much higher than that. There were no leaks during or after filling. I don’t actually remember how to get a proper fill from CO2 bulk storage can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Not sure but read that you have to get the bottle or cylinder you fill cold, like keep it in a fridge then fill.

CO2 in a cyl or capsule is a liquid under pressure, this is why the contents are filled by weight, not by pressure.
    When you open the cyl/cap it allows the internal pressure to drop & the liquid "gasses off".

What you have probably done is allowed the cyl to "gas off" in to the extra volume of the gun, some of that gas will re-liquify, as it expands, but it's pretty slow & not efficient,
    what you need to do is actually force some of the liquid CO2 from one to the other by gently inverting the cyl & allowing the gas in the cyl to push some liquid through (where possible weighing the liquid transferred)

once the transferred liquid itself gasses off inside the gun the pressures should equalise & the liquid flow stop.

As above if the cyl being filled is colder it will encourage more gas to liquify.
    Last edited by angrybear; 19-04-2024 at 10:28 AM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Great thanks gentlemen I’ll cool the cylinder & try the upside down decant method.

Fill gun. Bleed off co2 until gun gets cold, refill with co2.
    If you bulk fill bottle doesn't have a dip tube, it will need to be inverted so you fill with liquid, not gas.
    Fire extinguishers have a dip tube.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Fill gun. Bleed off co2 until gun gets cold, refill with co2.
    If you bulk fill bottle doesn't have a dip tube, it will need to be inverted so you fill with liquid, not gas.
    Fire extinguishers have a dip tube.
    Thanks for that I think I understand it now. The SodaStream bottles don’t have dip tubes. Now you mention chilling the gun by bleeding I remember when I bought a Tau 7 from Mays of London years ago they recommended putting the pistol in a plastic bag and putting it in the freezer for an hour before filling it.