Thread: Dorset 25yard benchrest shooting

Dorset 25yard benchrest shooting

Hi all,
    I’m getting back into air rifle shooting after a long break.
    People at my club are getting into this class of shooting.
    If you are doing this too, what scopes are you all using.
    Magnification seems to have gone way higher since when I used to shoot.
    I was thinking about getting a fixed mag 22x42 scope but I see others using much larger magnifications for 25 yards.
    Your thoughts are much appreciated.
    And of course any thoughts on rifles to use.

I do 25 & 45 yard bench rest, my scopes are 44 to 42 mm with a max mag of 12 or 16, I find 12 is perfectly adequate for 25 yards, the rifle with the 16 mag is noticeably better at 45 yards & at that range I could do with a bigger scope tbh.

There are plenty of guys who think those scopes are OTT for 25 yards, but my eyes aren't what they were lol.

Do not sell this man any air guns no matter what he says

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    for dedicated benchrest at those ranges, 20x mag should be fine... I have an 18mag, and it's great for 45 yards. I guess if you are really good and experienced, more mag might help, but then you would know that by the time you had progressed to that stage.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Ive used a few for br25 and found the Sightron fixed x36 brilliant
    X24 depends on reticle being right and a decent one is the konus 6-24 dot, another cheap scope like the vector 10-40 was ok

For me its over x24 and a br design ret
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

As with most "what scope" related questions, the answer is that scopes are a very individual item what suits one person may not suit the next.
    Some people want twice the mag, others find seeing every micron of movement causes them to tense up & try to fight it so prefer less mag, as they can relax & actually shoot better.
    A variable mag scope gives you an option that a fixed mag scope can't.