I do enjoy using a x4 scope on a .22 springer, but then the range used at is no more than 20m. Lower mag can be an aid to fast shooting.

My general purpose .177 springers often have 3-9 and are left at x9. .177 effectiveness relies on perfect shot placement.

I have a couple of "accurate" air rifles that can do more than farmyard ranges and those have x14 or x16.
I have one with a x24. Usually left at x10. Very deliberate shooting.

For my firearms then its starts with x14 or x16, and may have a x24 or 26. But, most of the time they are set at x9 or 10.
If a deer stalking rifle then often set at the lowest mag the scope has. You can always zoom up.

With cheaper scopes then I don't like zooming about too much. Zero with highest mag, and then importantly check zero at its "ideal" mag. (Check parallax holds zero too, not all do.)
I worry less with my higher end scopes as they tend to behave and be truly repeatable.

The ethics of how we shoot has changed over the years. Just a hit isn't enough, and only perfect shot placements counts today. The better rifles can deliver that accuracy far further than ever before.
Use the magnification that suits your eyes and gives the sight picture that best enables the accuracy required. Once x4 I could hit a flea, now I like to use a whole lot more.
My game dealer asks for brain shot rabbits, so I changed from x6 to x10. Each shot takes longer to get that perfect shot placement now demanded.