Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many people use the zoom on their scopes?

How many people use the zoom on their scopes?

I have zoom scopes and fixed scopes. My zoom scopes tend to stay at a fixed setting, if anything I might play with the zoom setting when I first put the scope on a rifle but then they just stay at a fixed setting, either 10x or the maximum. So from my perspective there is little point in the zoom function, and optically a zoom lens is more complex than a fixed focal length lens.
    Unfortunately there are few choices in fixed focal length. There are the lower magnification lower cost versions (2x20, 4x32, 4x40) but they tend to be fixed parallax. Then there are the higher magnification side focus (10x32, 10x44) that tend to be much more expensive.
    For 10 years I did have a 10x44 on my LGU, beautiful optic but it made access to the breech difficult but now I have replaced that with a 10x32 which clears the breech and is great. The 10x44 is now on my RM8. I have a 2-7x32 on my HW97 that stays at x7 and a 3-9x40 on my HW80 that stays at x9.
    So most people here will have zoom scopes. I assume that if any change the magnification it will be hunters scanning for quarry at low magnification and targeting at high. Is that the case?

Only long distance paper punching .

All my scopes are set on 6x and never move.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Only long distance paper punching .
    ditto...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I’m usually the same as Dave (Trumpetier) if I get a zoom scope, I usually always stick it on x6 and leave it…old habits eh

Although I’m really liking the humble fixed x4 in present times as I’m only really doing closer stuff nowadays.

My best purchase years ago was a 6x40 scope it was all I could afford at the time.

When I returned to air rifle shooting I bought a 3-9x40 and set it on 6x.
    I find now I am on 8x.

I do use the zoom on my 4-16 scope. I find that 12x when sat in the hide at a fixed target is great.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

I have too many rifles too many scopes, thinning my collection down. I use 10x a lot & have fixed 10x & 20x scopes but with less rifles they will multi task more that a specific purpose for each one. Short range of 10 to 30 yds I use between 2x to 10x then 25 yds plus I find between 8x to 12x usedeven higher for spotting & watching. A wide range of distances & wide range of target sizes dictates variable mag. All depends on personal shooting style.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

I'll alter the zoom almost every time I shoulder the rifle,
    different light conditions alter the view so low light might require a slight drop in mag,
    when garden 'plinking' I set the mag so that the mildots match a ring of the target to ensure it's dead centre, & as I use several different target layouts that requires adjustment.
    While high mag to check the holes can save a lot of time, unless you also use a spotting scope.

As per the OP, when scanning an area hunting, I'll use a lower mag, & then zoom in to ID any potential target, trying to follow a squirrel running through tree tops at high mag is next to impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    All my scopes are set on 6x and never move.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    I’m usually the same as Dave (Trumpetier) if I get a zoom scope, I usually always stick it on x6 and leave it…old habits eh

Although I’m really liking the humble fixed x4 in present times as I’m only really doing closer stuff nowadays.
    About the same here. Most of my scopes are fixed 4x. The few zoom ones I have I tend to set on 6x for longer range duties (like at The Bash) or wound down for garden use.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I shoot mainly small fixed scopes anyway as their lighter and never need twiddling while out pesting as I need to point n shoot and instinctively know my holds, the two variable scopes I do have are set and taped up so they can’t move, one being my ratter(1-5-28) set on 1.5 and the other my hft scope(3-12-34) set on 7

I would not think of changing mag or focus while out shooting
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

mines set at 6 and stays there

It’s a strange habit when you are so used to a certain mag.

I’ve tried many other folks setups over the years be it club or informal home range targets etc.

I’ve been handed many setups that are set on really high mag and oh crikey seeing the target wobble that much instantly puts me off

Instinctively I just have to wind the mag right down

A good question and interesting replies. I have variable scopes but they are set on x7 and don't move. Maybe I should get a x7 non variable scope? Indeed HFT does not let you change the magnification once you start the shoot.
    Strange how fashion changes as well. I remember not many years ago when x10 fixed 40 or 42 was all the rage for HFT and 'all serious' shooters swore by it. That now seems to have changed and 32x7 seems the fashion for many (most?) shooters.
    Cheers, Phil

I use zoom scopes all the time as they are the most versatile with a multi function rig.
    I walk around on 10x (HFT) style, but then turn it down for close range or inside barn work and up for distance shots and range finding.
    VAYA CON DIOS

I do enjoy using a x4 scope on a .22 springer, but then the range used at is no more than 20m. Lower mag can be an aid to fast shooting.

My general purpose .177 springers often have 3-9 and are left at x9. .177 effectiveness relies on perfect shot placement.

I have a couple of "accurate" air rifles that can do more than farmyard ranges and those have x14 or x16.
    I have one with a x24. Usually left at x10. Very deliberate shooting.

For my firearms then its starts with x14 or x16, and may have a x24 or 26. But, most of the time they are set at x9 or 10.
    If a deer stalking rifle then often set at the lowest mag the scope has. You can always zoom up.

With cheaper scopes then I don't like zooming about too much. Zero with highest mag, and then importantly check zero at its "ideal" mag. (Check parallax holds zero too, not all do.)
    I worry less with my higher end scopes as they tend to behave and be truly repeatable.

The ethics of how we shoot has changed over the years. Just a hit isn't enough, and only perfect shot placements counts today. The better rifles can deliver that accuracy far further than ever before.
    Use the magnification that suits your eyes and gives the sight picture that best enables the accuracy required. Once x4 I could hit a flea, now I like to use a whole lot more.
    My game dealer asks for brain shot rabbits, so I changed from x6 to x10. Each shot takes longer to get that perfect shot placement now demanded.