Thread: Hw100 still decent ??

Hw100 still decent ??

Hi having owned 2 hw 100 a few yrs ago , with gnib stocks , was wondering if they are still a great gun ? Seen on here a few people swearing by them , so maybe my question has already been answered

Well I hope so,as I'm picking one up tomorrow at club. I've had them before and probably one of the best guns around. Atb Mick.

Hw100

Yes still a great PCP. Sold mine a few years ago but if I ever decided to go back to PCP this would be top of my list along with a Kricket. Mach 1.5

Yes I think they are still best sub 12 under a grand.

Plenty of guns close but I've tuned lots of hw100s and when you have them apart the internals are so uniformly made and quality components used.

The fact they have a great trigger also and fire dead with such a quiet hammer I don't think anything shoots like a hw100 they are unique guns.

But not an FAC choice of gun there are much better platforms for shotcount, ie bottled guns.

I might be a tad against the grain with my own experiences and thoughts….

I’ve had quite a few HW100’s over the years from the full lengths to karbines and even the FSB and 101

There’s some excellent positive attributes but also some negative findings from my own experiences.

To elaborate a little, I really like the magazine setup and side lever this is second to non probably the best around out of many pcps I’ve tried/owned.

My biggest negatives are for some reason I’ve owned many that have leaked it’s usually the QF port area or the inlet valve usual culprit seal which is no biggy as I’ve always uprated the inlet valve seal but the cylinder seals can be a ballache.

I’ve never been that keen on the split block type setup either as I much prefer a one piece type setup I’m going back to days when folks were using one piece mounts on a pcp as back in the day it was common to see folks trying to eliminate any weakness.

I’ve also never been keen on the barrel setup as I’ve seen many barrels that have spun especially with a semi seized silencer which usually results in ham fisted removal with only that angled grub screw holding the barrel in situ.

Talking of barrels the barrel band setup is also something I’m never keen on as I much prefer a fully floated barrel but something with strength eg you could do chin-ups on a rapid setup

I’ve tried the semi free floating removing the o ring in the band and also a fully floating setup without a band but I’ve never felt the barrel feels secure enough from a harmonics perspective which is obviously worse with a full length over the Karbine.

I’ve also never been keen on the stock but can only speak from experience of the regular Sporter and Thumbhole setups as I’ve not tried the laminate or the adjustable types just the usual cricket bat types

Apart from all that I’d probably still own another one………

Incredible rifle. Only a year into using PCP (springer always tops for me) and my HW100T in .22 is just very, very good indeed. I got it fitted with a titanium cylinder and the full 'works' done by HW100Tuning and I couldn't be happier. It has seen off a standard HW100 BP in .177, an AA S510 and I picked up a stunning Mk1 Rapid on here that will go as I just wont use it when the HW100 does everything I need of it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    I might be a tad against the grain with my own experiences and thoughts….

I’ve had quite a few HW100’s over the years from the full lengths to karbines and even the FSB and 101

There’s some excellent positive attributes but also some negative findings from my own experiences.

To elaborate a little, I really like the magazine setup and side lever this is second to non probably the best around out of many pcps I’ve tried/owned.

My biggest negatives are for some reason I’ve owned many that have leaked it’s usually the QF port area or the inlet valve usual culprit seal which is no biggy as I’ve always uprated the inlet valve seal but the cylinder seals can be a ballache.

I’ve never been that keen on the split block type setup either as I much prefer a one piece type setup I’m going back to days when folks were using one piece mounts on a pcp as back in the day it was common to see folks trying to eliminate any weakness.

I’ve also never been keen on the barrel setup as I’ve seen many barrels that have spun especially with a semi seized silencer which usually results in ham fisted removal with only that angled grub screw holding the barrel in situ.

Talking of barrels the barrel band setup is also something I’m never keen on as I much prefer a fully floated barrel but something with strength eg you could do chin-ups on a rapid setup

I’ve tried the semi free floating removing the o ring in the band and also a fully floating setup without a band but I’ve never felt the barrel feels secure enough from a harmonics perspective which is obviously worse with a full length over the Karbine.

I’ve also never been keen on the stock but can only speak from experience of the regular Sporter and Thumbhole setups as I’ve not tried the laminate or the adjustable types just the usual cricket bat types

Apart from all that I’d probably still own another one………
    Agree with the above , The laminated versions make them even heavier, Good guns once sorted, The low shot count puts me off another one , But obviously that may suit others,

had a nice one in 20 cal sold it on here

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Agree with the above , The laminated versions make them even heavier, Good guns once sorted, The low shot count puts me off another one , But obviously that may suit others,
    For some bizarre reason and even more against the grain, I actually prefer the HW110 over the 100

I honestly don’t know why that is as these are very marmite especially when you mention ballistics grade plastic but the 110 seems to suit me better and I’ve had far less issues with the many 110’s I’ve owned as well

Strange old hobby sometimes and it’s great we all have unique experiences

Had one (.177 Adjustable Laminate version) sold it to fund an FX Impact M3, hated that, sold it, and when a nearly new HW100K Sporter nearly new complete with scope and bottle caught my eye a few weeks back it was an easy decision to add a PCP rifle back into my collection

Boringly good, better with some pellets than others, but not fussy, took a work friend shooting who hasn't picked up a rifle in decades, and within minutes she was knocking over everything at zeroed distance, and with some guidance reliably doing the same out to 60yds

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, and there are enough HW100 design ideas cloned in other rifles to tell you HW did their homework before releasing it, and it is still being copied 20 years down the line
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    For some bizarre reason and even more against the grain, I actually prefer the HW110 over the 100

I honestly don’t know why that is as these are very marmite especially when you mention ballistics grade plastic but the 110 seems to suit me better and I’ve had far less issues with the many 110’s I’ve owned as well

Strange old hobby sometimes and it’s great we all have unique experiences
    The 110 feels better balanced. However I shoot better with heavier guns , And my 100 did shoot well. unfortunately for my shooting I need a good shot count, Everyone's body build is different , I much rather shoot my mk1 rapid over my mk2 , Just fits me better.

Many thanx

Good to hear all your input , many thanx
    Embarrassing for me didn’t know there was a hw110 out , like I say have been away from the scene for prob 10 yrs , but on a positive note my 2 daystates are charged and ready to go !
    Thanx again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    The 110 feels better balanced. However I shoot better with heavier guns , And my 100 did shoot well. unfortunately for my shooting I need a good shot count, Everyone's body build is different , I much rather shoot my mk1 rapid over my mk2 , Just fits me better.
    Could be right buddy as I’ve always liked the regular 110 with its full length cylinder for higher shot count but still compact enough over the full length 100 which can feel a tad too front heavy.

The little 110K is a giggle that thing is tiny

Quote Originally Posted by Richard3003 View Post
    Good to hear all your input , many thanx
    Embarrassing for me didn’t know there was a hw110 out , like I say have been away from the scene for prob 10 yrs , but on a positive note my 2 daystates are charged and ready to go !
    Thanx again everyone
    No worries buddy, happy shooting I also love a good Daystate

Ive had a few duff ones and have avoided them for quite some years but took a punt on a near new bp100 that the owner didn’t like and it was offered ridiculously cheap, I took a gamble and although it’s freaking heavy and has a low shotcount, this one is actually accurate, how long it stays is another thing
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars