Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mental moment, should I convert one of my Webleys to .25?

Obviously outvoted here when I said "no". Although I don't own a .25, I can see rhe attraction from a fun point of view and for ratting at sub-12. But wasn't sure if the action would be up to it without having to turn it into a harsh shooting mess. But was only guessing. Go on, have a go and see how it turns out. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Wonder if some extra piston weight might help?

One other lovely thing in addition to the wallop will be the ease of feeding it those big pellets.
    Last edited by TonyL; 28-04-2024 at 05:26 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Obviously outvoted here when I said "no". Although I don't own a .25, I can see rhe attraction from a fun point of view and for ratting at sub-12. But wasn't sure if the action would be up to it without having to turn it into a harsh shooting mess. But was only guessing. Go on, have a go and see how it turns out. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Wonder if some extra piston weight might help?

One other lovely thing in addition to the wallop will be the ease of feeding it those big pellets.
    I think that's why I was asking about doing it, but I suppose it doesn't need as much power to launch the .25, it's probably going to be a short distance shooter as they only done about 9 to 10 foot pounds anyway.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    no. Not a good idea.
    this :
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Hi all, Just having a bit of a think out loud, I have a .25 barrel off cut that I picked up at one of the bashes, I'm thinking of converting one of my Webley sidelevers to .25, as the barrel screws in (after some machining obviously) and I can get a spare pellet trap, the rifle can always be converted back if desired.

Do you think it would be worth doing, I love my .25 Beeza, so another .25 would be fun and different.
    The Webley side levers often struggle to make "full power" in the more efficient .22 calibre (even the Tracker/Viscount with its more efficient transfer port), so converting to the less efficient .25 is not a good idea.

The Vulcan on the other hand, with its easily changed barrel, is a better option. It has more swept volume, and being a breakbarrel with less energy loss than the tap loader makes it a better option.
    Plus it is easy to convert back if you change your mind.
    Too many airguns!

Does the barrel end get machined to form the hole for the tap or does it bottom in a counterbore with a short plain bore in front of the tap? Either way has serious problems to overcome. If plain bore before barrel it would need opening out to .25 and would thus be irreversible. If it forms part of the bore for the tap then the radius would have to be machined after the barrel was fittedwhich would be nigh on impossible to do and retain the tolerance for the tap. I think its a non starter for a tap loader personally.

Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The Webley side levers often struggle to make "full power" in the more efficient .22 calibre (even the Tracker/Viscount with its more efficient transfer port),
    so converting to the less efficient .25 is not a good idea.
    Surely .25 is theoretically more efficient ?
    The issue is available pellet weight.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Does the barrel end get machined to form the hole for the tap or does it bottom in a counterbore with a short plain bore in front of the tap? Either way has serious problems to overcome. If plain bore before barrel it would need opening out to .25 and would thus be irreversible. If it forms part of the bore for the tap then the radius would have to be machined after the barrel was fittedwhich would be nigh on impossible to do and retain the tolerance for the tap. I think its a non starter for a tap loader personally.

Regards Max
    Hopefully here's a link to one that's been removed.

https://www.airgunspares.com/bgwt019...22-barrel.html
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Well it doesn't have a rad to match the tap on the end so either it sits in a counterbore and there is a small plain bore before the pellet reaches the barrel which would need opening upto .25. or you screw the barrel in till it butt's up against the tap to form a seal but then you probably couldn't open the tap for interference from the barrel. You would clearly see the end of the barrel with the tap removed if this was the case.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer