Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theoben breech block and barrel on a Supersport?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Theoben breech block and barrel on a Supersport?

Hi all,

I read Coddy's comment on the Supersport history thread about him fitting a Theoben Sirocco barrel to a Supersport, not sure if he meant just the barrel or the whole breech block as well? I've emailed him because he's been banned but it's bounced back, now I just happen to have a spare Theoben breech block and barrel here and it is remarkably close in a lot of ways to the size and fixing points to the BSA set up, the only thing different is the width of the breech block which is 2mm thicker, so obviously won't fit in the Supersports breech fork, looking at it, I don't think milling a mm of each side could be done as I'd say the barrel wouldn't have enough metal left to hold it, so I would say the breech forks would need to be milled, is that possible to do?

Would it be a viable conversion?

Your thoughts please gents.

Cheers
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Sacrilege!!! What length barrel and calibre?

Mmmm....really wouldn't know, Pete. I know you mention dimensions etc., but how do those stack up re barrel alignment to the TP and barrel pivot hole? Really not sure. Especially when you consider that the barrel is often a positive point of a BSA anyway.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Why? I remember plenty of folks fitting BSA barrels to Theoben rifles but never the other way round
    Pete

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    stop making up complicated sh!t

What problem do you want to solve ? unless it's "how to devalue a theoben barrel AND a BSA supersport at the same time", I'm pretty sure this is the wrong answer
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    stop making up complicated sh!t

What problem do you want to solve ? unless it's "how to devalue a theoben barrel AND a BSA supersport at the same time", I'm pretty sure this is the wrong answer
    I'm trying to give Nick G a melt down
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    Sacrilege!!! What length barrel and calibre?
    It's .177 and bloody short, so I'd say a Fenman.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I'm trying to give Nick G a melt down
    Nah, he's too calm.. he'll just laugh

Just sell the fenman barrel, should go for at least £70, likely more..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    It's .177 and bloody short, so I'd say a Fenman.
    I may need to speak to you about that at the weekend then 😎

Hi Coddy is a mate of mine and the barrel fitted straight on just needed a slightly thicker breech seal

I read Coddy's comment on the Supersport history thread about him fitting a Theoben Sirocco barrel to a Supersport, not sure if he meant just the barrel or the whole breech block as well? I've emailed him because he's been banned but it's bounced back, now I just happen to have a spare Theoben breech block and barrel here and it is remarkably close in a lot of ways to the size and fixing points to the BSA set up, the only thing different is the width of the breech block which is 2mm thicker, so obviously won't fit in the Supersports breech fork, looking at it, I don't think milling a mm of each side could be done as I'd say the barrel wouldn't have enough metal left to hold it, so I would say the breech forks would need to be milled, is that possible to do?

Cheers[/QUOTE]
    Good deals with,pesca,eragon,old bull,twotitans,paladin,gman,howard6750,rafferty,ca v123,lucky trigger,gt550a,bassmanrich,munchman,snipperuk,dm80 ,ali d,ranger,gubby_uk,deadly,gedfinn 2,viper77765,I. J.,SCOTTK,stanbridge,gmac,FRENCHI,2240phil,Gwylan, the piercer

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    I may need to speak to you about that at the weekend then 😎
    It will need a proper reblue as it's satin black, I think the guy I got it off did it himself.

Quote Originally Posted by maw1 View Post
    Hi Coddy is a mate of mine and the barrel fitted straight on just needed a slightly thicker breech seal

Cheers
    [/QUOTE]

I wonder if like most Theoben things they where slightly thinner breech blocks on earlier models, the one I have is 17.5ish wide with a 16mm barrel girth, the Supersport barrel is 15.5mm wide, so the Theoben block needs to lose 2mm to fit in the breech forks.

Everything seems to line up with a BSA barrel block, even the BSA wedge lock fits in the Theoben block, the barrel pivot pin hole is smaller, so would need opening out to fit the BSA pivot bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Why? I remember plenty of folks fitting BSA barrels to Theoben rifles but never the other way round
    Everybody seems to slate the BSA set up saying they should use a proper breech block like HW do.

Even Gamo use a proper breech block and they own BSA.

Nothing up with a BSA in the first place.Supersport barrel
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    Nothing up with a BSA in the first place.Supersport barrel
    I know, I'm just being inquisitive.