Thread: .177 sub 12fp slugs / barrel combinations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

.177 sub 12fp slugs / barrel combinations

What barrels have you found work with slugs in sub 12 .177 ?

I've found a couple that were OK in an unchocked barrel, but still a bit less accurate that their preferred diabolo pellets diet, so no beneift unless perhaps shooting in a hurricane.

Tried the Zans and some others all around 10g... nothing seems to want to group tighter than an inch at 30 yards
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

.177 10gn Zan.
    Hatsan AT44...So good, it's the dedicated Zan gun.
    BSA R10 Se. ..Suprisingly, good enough for HFT.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    .177 10gn Zan.
    Hatsan AT44...So good, it's the dedicated Zan gun.
    BSA R10 Se. ..Suprisingly, good enough for HFT.
    That's good to know, thanks... Not sure I've tried the Zans thru my Kral yet, so that's a possibility...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    That's good to know, thanks... Not sure I've tried the Zans thru my Kral yet, so that's a possibility...
    I'm getting excellent results with my vulcan 2 and krait bit I've plosihed the choke out of both cz barrels. That being said, it's also improved the groups with diabolo pellets and they still marginally trump the slugs. In truth, they'll both now shoot zan and jsb slugs, jsb pellets, barracuda match, qys streamlined and domed and barracuda match all under a 20p at 40yds. But the best 2 are jsb heavies and the streamlined. with the extra cost of slugs with slightly worse accuracy, I can't justify buying them. I've hunted rats and squirrels with slugs and they were damn good, though.

Have you tried the Zan lead free slugs ?

I didn't even know they existed until I saw some in the dealer last week,
    .177 - 8.5gn, .22 - 15gn, .25 - 22gn, nice weights for sub 12.

Have you tried the Mako slugs? Some have good success with them, but they need to be hand loaded to ensure they enter the barrel straight. Many lightweight slugs suffer from the same problem in that they have a very short length in contact with the barrel and can be slightly crooked when pushed into the barrel, especially from a magazine.
    Slug size relative to your barrel diameter is also critical, you may need to slug your barrel to find out its exact diameter. The slug diameter should ideally be around .001-.002 larger than the diameter between the lands according to US forums.