Thread: A couple of queries

A couple of queries

Like a lot of Collectables members I take as much pleasure in finding out all that I can about the assorted guns in my small collection as actually using them. I've a couple of recent additions I'm not getting very far with so, hopefully, someone on here might be able to help.

The first is a Lanes Patent Ball Trigger Gem. Did Lanes import these & fit their patent trigger mechanism or did they actually make the guns themselves?
    My second query is about another, very different, old break barrel gun, a Lincoln Jeffries. The stock is stamped 'Lincoln Jeffries' & on top of the barrel is 'D THE LINCOLN AIR RIFLE'. Apart from the sn.on the bottom of the flat sided trigger block I can't find any more makings apart from on the stock where there's 'Lincoln Jeffries' stamped & the usual little figure of L.J.(? I like to think so.) you get on some of his guns. There's a substantial little lever on the left hand side to release the barrel to cock it & a small hole with the remains of a screw in it, which I understand is a no longer functioning safety.
    T.D., from whom I got this, told me it's an MGR. I know they became Diana in 1904 so this old girl dates back to 1904 or earlier.
    Presumably this gun was imported by the great man, perhaps "improved" in some way then sold as an LJ. I have a Millita marked with Lincoln Jeffries on the stock & 'H THE LJ AIR GUN' on the barrel I understand this was common practice in the gun trade at that time.
    I haven't unearthed any reference about this model of LJ & would really appreciate any information.
    Thanks. Glyn

Coincidentally I just read today in the Jan 2007 airgunner article by John Atkins that the Lanes Ball trigger rifles were converted Gems imported from Belgium & Germany from 1896.
    He said the example he showed was originally a Flursheim and Bergmann that had the Ball trigger cocking arm fitted. I didn't know that.

Seems to me these could have inspired Fred Cox when he designed the Britannia in 1904.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mzee View Post
    Like a lot of Collectables members I take as much pleasure in finding out all that I can about the assorted guns in my small collection as actually using them. I've a couple of recent additions I'm not getting very far with so, hopefully, someone on here might be able to help.

The first is a Lanes Patent Ball Trigger Gem. Did Lanes import these & fit their patent trigger mechanism or did they actually make the guns themselves?
    My second query is about another, very different, old break barrel gun, a Lincoln Jeffries. The stock is stamped 'Lincoln Jeffries' & on top of the barrel is 'D THE LINCOLN AIR RIFLE'. Apart from the sn.on the bottom of the flat sided trigger block I can't find any more makings apart from on the stock where there's 'Lincoln Jeffries' stamped & the usual little figure of L.J.(? I like to think so.) you get on some of his guns. There's a substantial little lever on the left hand side to release the barrel to cock it & a small hole with the remains of a screw in it, which I understand is a no longer functioning safety.
    T.D., from whom I got this, told me it's an MGR. I know they became Diana in 1904 so this old girl dates back to 1904 or earlier.
    Presumably this gun was imported by the great man, perhaps "improved" in some way then sold as an LJ. I have a Millita marked with Lincoln Jeffries on the stock & 'H THE LJ AIR GUN' on the barrel I understand this was common practice in the gun trade at that time.
    I haven't unearthed any reference about this model of LJ & would really appreciate any information.
    Thanks. Glyn
    Glyn can you post pics of the MGR, or email them to me and I'll post them please? I know some MGRs and the later Diana mod 19/Dolphin/Ansonia were improved by UK importers who rifled the barrels but I can't remember seeing an LJ stamped one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Coincidentally I just read today in the Jan 2007 airgunner article by John Atkins that the Lanes Ball trigger rifles were converted Gems imported from Belgium & Germany from 1896.
    He said the example he showed was originally a Flursheim and Bergmann that had the Ball trigger cocking arm fitted. I didn't know that.

Seems to me these could have inspired Fred Cox when he designed the Britannia in 1904.

Cheers,
    Matt
    The world of vintage airguns is so much poorer today, now that John Atkins is not producing his amazing, erudite and beautifully-illustrated articles every month in Air Gunner.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

MGR pictures

Hi Garvin,
    Would you post some photos of my MGR/LJ please?
    Cheers Glyn

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The world of vintage airguns is so much poorer today, now that John Atkins is not producing his amazing, erudite and beautifully-illustrated articles every month in Air Gunner.
    Never a truer word spoken.

I really miss John's excellent articles, which were a fond part of my life for many decades. I looked forward to reading them every single month.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Vintage Airguns Gallery