Don't worry I've felt the joys of that several times where it's dripped on clothing, in this case it's not so much pleather vs leather, it's wanting to make a homage sling but I have recycled leather in the past, my SAK pouch is made from an old pair of my Mothers boots along with the wrist brace on one of my old Black widows (not yet found them, the custom ones seen recently are ones donated to me) and I did have a stash of it somewhere but like usual I couldn't tell you where it went.
There is also a pair of E46 seats in the Garden, you wouldn't want them in your show car but the hides still reasonable for being in the elements, I'll probably grab the headrest off one to do Slingshot pouches when I sort bands and finally carve the flat bander (just not managed to get to the woods with the apple trees yet, need to arrange a helper for it too).

The Pleather when made will be compareable to a PU belt, plenty strong aslong as you aren't stupidly abusive with it, It will stitch the same as leather although I'll probably be wanting to get a machine to it as it'll be muder on the hands, the other added joy is needing to be careful with the heat damaging the design so I'll create the 'core' first using heavy duty Bin liners and then add the outer tape layer and possibly a clear layer for protection from wear on the design.

Heres basically how the process works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-7grMXIXs0