Thread: Mod to stock - advice needed

Mod to stock - advice needed

Hi All,

I'm contemplating reducing the stock length on my BSA Hornet by cutting approx 1" off the butt. I have an adjustable butt pad on at the moment which lifts the gun to the correct height for me, but it's still slightly too long, especially when wearing thick outdoor clothing.

What I want to know is what tools would you recommend to cleanly cut that 1" off the butt?? ( yes I know it needs to be some type of saw ) I want to keep any damage to the edges to an absolute minimum ( preferably none )

Ta in advance,

Norm

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    A decent thin bladed coping saw would do it nice and neat. Use masking tape along the line you want to cut and mark your line on the tape, this should prevent the wood splintering.Make sure the wood is clamped down securely. Apart from that just take your time.

cuting tool

Try a tennon saw ,its what joiners use to cut joints with, PS try cuting half inch of first,if you cut to much off first your b#g##d!

Thanks for that chaps, I'm also thinking I'll need to jig it all up with some sort of blade guide to ensure I get a nice square flat cut.

Has anyone else done this ?

Norm

Whatever you do dont use a coping saw, try a DeWalt DW780 with a decent blade
    Martin

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaG80
    Martin
    Didn't they teach you anything in school

Quote Originally Posted by DianaG80
    Martin
    It would be cheaper for him to drive it to you and pay you to do it, than to buy a Dewalt DW708 and blade to do it with.

To answer BIG MAFOOTA, DianaG80 is a better joiner than most that I have met and I agree with him that a coping saw is not the tool to use. It will not be easy to get the accuracy of cut needed to do this job with any hand saw unless you are better with a saw than most are. Most Joiners use quality machinary, now a days, because one it's far quicker and two much more accurate. Still easy to bu**er it up though, if your not careful.

I would get a friendly joiner with the right equipement and skills to do it for you, it would take them about 2 minutes on a DW780 with the right blade.
    Buggy2 (Nigel)

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    I cant use power tools to save my life.