Thread: Gat Gun, How Does It Work??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm no expert but when I used to run a shooting sideshow at our MAG Biker rallies, we used Gat pistols with corks to knock coloured wooden rings over the necks of bottles to win prizes. We found that the harder you pushed the cork into the end, the better seal you got and the cork was double in velocity over one that was loosely fitted, so I don't think inertia was the driving force, I think it was air....could be way off target though, like the corks always were!!

when I had one many moons ago i dont remember any opening in the barrel to allow air in, yet they do fire corks with a pop
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

It is very hard to see but if you have some rust or dirt in it you can just make it out.
    Zastava Owners Club.

Is it not possible that the corks just make a pop when you shoot them, because when you pushed the in, you must have expelled some air, and the pop is the sound of both the air rushing back in and the seal between the cork and the barrel separating?
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Right, just had a look there are two holes on the horizontal axis about 1/2" in from the rear of the barrel.

The piston is the housing around the barrel which moves forward with the barrel.

There is a gap between the pistol and the metal body of the gun which is sealed at both ends this is like the chamber on normal springer. As the piston moves forward the air is forced out off this gap through the two holes just like normal springer.

If somene has some corks try firing it without the pellet probe then you will see it is not just a catapult action.
    Zastava Owners Club.

The GAT operates using compressed air like any other pistol

Transfer port is just ahead of the pellet probe, when the barrel flies forward there is a piston ring that compresses the air ahead of it, which is then forced down the sleeve and behind the pellet.

As advised above - try firing one without the probe in and see how far the pellet doesn't go

Does anyone have any sauce which goes with my hat?
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Looks as if I remembered correctly about the corks then, so it IS air powered. At the same time as the Gats were every small boys gun, does anyone remember the Diana pistol which worked on the same principal, the only difference between the two is that the Diana had no provision for corks at the end of the barrel and it had nice wooden grips. Price difference...I think the Gat was something like 14/6d and the Diana 17/6d.......
    But you could buy a chrome Gat as well for an extra couple of bob

Quote Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
    I think you will find there is an air chamber round the barrel in the body of the pistol. As the barrel moves forward the chamber compresses the air enters into the barrel through a small hole near the rear. This is why there is a probe to put the pellet passed the hole.

There is a catapult action but not nearly enough to propel a pellet or dart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie View Post
    The GAT operates using compressed air like any other pistol

Transfer port is just ahead of the pellet probe, when the barrel flies forward there is a piston ring that compresses the air ahead of it, which is then forced down the sleeve and behind the pellet.

As advised above - try firing one without the probe in and see how far the pellet doesn't go
    Is what I'd always understood to be the case.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

bullsmilk Guest
    if were talking about classics what about the good old G10 REPEATER

Holy thread revival!

Never had one.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!