Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solution to mail order dilema!!!

figjam Guest

solution to mail order dilema!!!

cant users of this board who live near the gunshops start a directory of contact e-mail addresses!

you e-mail the enarest contact to go and buy yout gear face to face then they ship it to you via a courier!

simple, it only adds approx. 25 quid to the sale price and i would say that a £10 'donation' to the noble buyer would be more than ample, o know i'd be willing to statrt the ball rolling, but unfortunatly i dont live near any decent suppliers or shops, hence my idea just now!

you could either pay buy cheque, paypal or even if the contact was keen enough set up a bank account for this purpose only and give out the bank details, cash would be going in and straight out again!

so after an additional expense of £35 and an extra 2-3 days max waiting time, hey presto you recieve your 'second hand gun'!

this all came to me whilst eating my chinky, so feel free to find flaws and discuss!

rgds
    kenny

Quote Originally Posted by figjam
    cant users of this board who live near the gunshops start a directory of contact e-mail addresses!

you e-mail the enarest contact to go and buy yout gear face to face then they ship it to you via a courier!

rgds
    kenny
    Would'nt the Gun be registered to the Contact that went to the RFD to purchase it ?

Could the Contact then send it on to you without being an RFD without breaking the law ?

Kenny ... like you i have'nt thought too much into this but it's what sprung to mind whilst reading your post

If it was all set up via E~Mail ... would this be classed as an internet sale ?

Wurzel
    Last edited by Wurzel; 03-12-2005 at 07:59 PM.
    Logun Carbine 177 ~ Aetec 3.8~12 x 44

figjam Guest
    no..not technically! the goverment wants sales to be done face to face!
    which what willl happen, the buyer then sells it on again and its now second hand! its only new purchases that are effected!

maybe just me, but its like pubs in ireland they still smoke?????

theres always an answer, all that happens in ireland is that if smokers put money bahind the bar(say £10) to act as a slush fund for the pub being fined for failling to comply!

as i understand its only about £100, you only need 10 smokers! pub says its sorry and takes a slap on the wrist!

rgds
    kenny

A lot of warranties are only to the initial purchaser.

RFD's could take on "consultants" throughout the UK so making it an internal transfer from one member of personnel to another.

The Local Personnel then deals face to face with the purchaser. The Personnel can be sub-contracted and receive a £5 for the hand over at a nearby club or similar.

Technical question is does the sub contracted person have to be a full member of staff in which case there will be all sorts of complications from tax, Nat Ins, insurance...etc.

SO I could be a rep for BAR in the berks area......I said Lloyd, "I COULD BE YOUR REP IN THE EAST BERKS AREA".......ssshhhhhhhhh
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Are the shops really that much more expensive that elaborate ways round a law, which has not even been passed yet, have to be invented? I have seen the prices listed by JSR, Uttings and B.A.R and decided to check out some local shops to compare.

AA S400 classic .177 r/h beech For an example, from Uttings cost is £309.95 + £7.95 delivery - total = £317.90
    Price of same gun from one of the local shops is £330.

I was quite suprised to find that there is not much difference between the two, now i am not in favour of banning internet sales at all as i believe people should have a choice but go and check out the prices at your gunshop. The sport won't come to a grinding halt if the ban is passed - we won't let it.

Hi Figjam,
    like the idea but can see a flaw or two.

Given the ads in the magazines, there really are only two players in the mail order business that stand to, potentially, lose a lot of money as and when the legislation comes into effect, i.e. Uttings and Ramsbottom.

This would inevitably mean that whichever "buyer(s)" is the source for "2nd hand" guns would end up with a lot of responsibility, e.g. deciding that woodwork on one gun is better than another, getting items posted as quickly as possible (holidays and illness would factor in here).

Possible grief from the Police as they would "appear" to be a major "gun nut", as the registrations go through.

Loss of guarantee as, I believe, warrantee's don't transfer when goods are sold on (lifetime warrantee's aside).

Don't get me wrong, I really do like the idea but serious thought needs to be given and likely candidates "vetted" (not in the bad way ).

JINX,
    a lot of shops will price match but mine almost certainly wont.

Sandy

Trouble is these post-purchase solutions, although ingenious, are all too susceptible to tabloid attack as exploiting alleged "loopholes" in the government's splendid scheme to render the public safe (pretty surreal, coming from that lot!).... too readily plugged by add-on legislation.
    It keeps coming back to the credit card being a proof. As far as I can see that's the only thing that would work by offering a degree of immunisation from easy legalistic posing by the politicians (and their propaganda tat-rag accomplices in slime) short of a compulsory licensing of all guns, or total banning, which could well be what they're already aiming to do, in stages....

nathan99 Guest
    The answer is simple.

Government to introduce "Air Rifle License".

Costs £10 from Post office.

Post Office also charge £10 to "check your photo ID".

Gun shop also charges £10 for "processing paperwork" introduced by new legislation.

Wholesaler pays £10 upon movement of any stock, to pay for "anti terrorism measures"

Retailer charges another £10 for insurance against liability of not having got paperwork correct.

Credit card company charges £10 to cover costs of MIx/CIA/FBI/??? investigation of all transactions with firerarms dealers to cover costs of providing records of all transactions for the past ten years to spooks.

Government introduces "cooling off period" as in US etc.

Government introduces £10 tax on sales to cover cost of national firearms database (which still doesn't work).

Government increases tax on sales to £1000 to cover true cost of national firearms database (which still doesn't work).

Plus VAT.

Gordon Brown rubs hands.

Punter gives up in disgust. Buys B2 from mate down pub.

(deeply impressed) Crystal ball, or what....

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan99
    The answer is simple.

Government to introduce "Air Rifle License".

Costs £10 from Post office.

Post Office also charge £10 to "check your photo ID".

Gun shop also charges £10 for "processing paperwork" introduced by new legislation.

Wholesaler pays £10 upon movement of any stock, to pay for "anti terrorism measures"

Retailer charges another £10 for insurance against liability of not having got paperwork correct.

Credit card company charges £10 to cover costs of MIx/CIA/FBI/??? investigation of all transactions with firerarms dealers to cover costs of providing records of all transactions for the past ten years to spooks.

Government introduces "cooling off period" as in US etc.

Government introduces £10 tax on sales to cover cost of national firearms database (which still doesn't work).

Government increases tax on sales to £1000 to cover true cost of national firearms database (which still doesn't work).

Plus VAT.

Gordon Brown rubs hands.

Punter gives up in disgust. Buys B2 from mate down pub.
    Don't give them any ideas

[QUOTE=Mnementh]
    Given the ads in the magazines, there really are only two players in the mail order business that stand to, potentially, lose a lot of money as and when the legislation comes into effect, i.e. Uttings and Ramsbottom.

It is not just the outlets mentioned that will suffer.
    All the retail outfits that advertise in the mags do so to attract nationwide trade, otherwise they would just use local advertising.

Unless a workable solution is found a lot of gunshops will just revert to being a "Local" entity.
    This will result in a loss of choice and an increase in prices.
    I'm lucky in the fact that I have two excellent gunshops within reasonable distance, each has a very wide choice of goods. Some people are many miles away from a decent shop, and the decent gunshops look like getting scarcer with this impending legislation.

As far as I am aware the excellent idea of payment by credit card (over18) does not seem up for consideration.

ATB
    Ray.

[QUOTE=Raygun

As far as I am aware the excellent idea of payment by credit card (over18) does not seem up for consideration.

ATB
    Ray.[/QUOTE]

Cos it is too sensable and easy

figjam Guest
    well sorry to burstyour bubble but it doesnt have to be limited to credit cards!
    i've stated this in other reply before but i'll repeat myself for those who never saw it!

there is a system in place already, it's accepted by the government as fool proof, yet it's obviously not even up for consideration, maybe some of our representitive bodies could highlight it?

'the national lottery online' has a system where by all internet sales made by there chioce of accepted cards including both debit and credit cards.
    the details entered by the card holder are verified against the electoral role to see if the purchaser is who they say they are!
    why cant this system be allowed for the use of mailorder sales of airguns!

the government has a zero tolerance of underage gambling, and this looks to me as if it could solve a lot of there concerns!
    the thing that bothers me is that it's not the mailorder stuff thats causing the problems, it's the carboot sellers and the idiots on market stalls!
    seconded by second springers, i'd like to see how many PCP's are in the stastics???

and as someone already noted earlier i cant see how they can ban a way of purchasing something that is legal to posess!

anyway, thanks for the replies and as i said it was just a half hearted idea whilst eating me tea!

rgds
    kenny
    Last edited by figjam; 03-12-2005 at 11:47 PM.

Has the BASC (or other body) in dealings with the government over this airgun-restrictive issue promoted the "credit card" idea as the solution?
    If not then could - or would - they, even now?
    And since it is a thoroughly viable option, and not too complex, could they not at the same time circularise the notion into at least some of the mass-media?

Shop not too far from me,not too bad on prices either.
    If it goes ahead I would be happy to do it.
    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.