Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Stop.

Back Stop.

I thinking of setting up a little firing range down my alley way.
    (Firstly move all the kids stuff, that has mounted over the years)

Years ago I used as a back stop, layers of two wooden boards & cot matress with old carpet taped round it.

Which done the job, the carpet muffled the pellet father than letting it whack the wooden boards.

However all of the backstop is long gone & I need to construct another.
    Which isn't a problem.

My main dilema is We now don't speak to our neighour which my alleyway is next to theres.

So I want to construct a decent looking one with sound muffling qualities.
    Reason for this is not so I upset them, it's if they call the police about I'm using a gun. (which my gun doesn't look very PC, check my sig) I want to make a good impression.

My Mrs wouldn't be very happy if they do. She has a very strong Irish temper where I have making of a diplomat. I haven't shot my rifles / pistols for some time. I even lost my shooting ground! And being on here I remember what I've been missing!

So I'm just asking for any advice on any construction which also has to be portable so we can get out of the back gate.

Or do I call the police to let them know (I read a thread when I first joined & the consenus was don't tell them) so I think I've answered that one myself.

I done a search on here but didn't find anything on this subject.

So any details / pics would be most helpful.

Regards
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

paving slabs are very pellet proof and dont shoot in the direction of the nearest public highway(road) and at least 50ft from the centre of it.
    you could use old newspapers too.

is this alleyway a shared access and are there any gates for access for other people?

going by your description it doesnt sound very safe,i'd find a nearby gun range.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70
    paving slabs are very pellet proof and dont shoot in the direction of the nearest public highway(road) and at least 50ft from the centre of it.
    you could use old newspapers too.

is this alleyway a shared access and are there any gates for access for other people?

going by your description it doesnt sound very safe,i'd find a nearby gun range.
    My alleyway is my own his alleyway is separeted by 6ft fence. My gate is padlocked so there would be no access while I'm shooting. I live in a cul-de-sac & I'm at the end of it. Not sure of distance from my back stop to the centre of the road. I will need to check that out.

However when I was shooting down my alley (years ago) I took all safety aspects seriously & never had a stray pellet go over my boundary.

I just want to make sure everything is fine just incase they (neighbour) moans. I don't want the hassle.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

make a box from paving slabs and line it with carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70
    make a box from paving slabs and line it with carpet.
    I did think of that one. But my head was going into overdrive with all elaborate ideas. I forgot about the age old term K.I.S.S.

Cheers
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Backstop

Hi Paddy
    get hold of an old frying pan/ wok etc and get some lead from the scrap merchant and melt it in the pan. Bigger diam the better. Knock it out when cold. Put slabs at the back of it. Shoot into this and it will deaden the noise and it will self perpetuate itself
    What I did for my actual backstop was went to a stationery hardware supplier and bought a six foot by three foot stationery cabinet which had had a door damaged. Asked him to keep the other door for his spares and sell me the shell with a couple of shelves. Total cost delivered was £20. You can spend that for an ordinary target size holder. Wallah HTH

Tutchi

Thumbs up Tutchi

I like the Idea of the cabinet. It wouldn't be practical down my alley. But I could try using a different postion for the cabinet in the garden.

Thanks
    Paddy

p.s
    I don't think the Mrs would like me to melt some metal in her kitchen she dosen't even let me cook.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

You also need to consider the rifle crack - get a good moddy on it and your neighbours may not even realise that you are shooting. If you are thinking of a new rifle the HW100 Mk2 is very quite for an off the shelf rifle

Dry sand is excellent and self healing if kept dry. Depends if you want portability or not. Layers of carpet also good and rotate them. Have a word with your local carpet shop to see if they have any mis shapen off cuts. If you are for squares or specific dimensions, they will possibly try to charge you.

The lead is also very silent as the round melts into the mass. But be careful with molten metals and the fumes anr noxious so well ventilated and stay upwind.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Thumbs up Steyr

Dry sand is a good idea but I do need it portable, this will limit it a bit.
    I've got plenty of off cut carpet in my loft so that is not a problem.

As for a new rifle I have a Webley Hawk which is quiet enough, only use for plinking. So no need there.

But thank you for your input.

Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Born Again Guest
    Not very portable, but closeable and safe.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c160/B...et_Catcher.jpg

It's an old tool safe, with a plastic bin in and lots of felt carpet underlay. Just in case, there's also 2off 8x4 3/4" ply sheets behind it. I'm going to improve things by cutting a 12" hole in the side of my concrete workshop and having the target inside, floodlit and silent. 55yds is the longest I can get at home.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Again
    Not very portable, but closeable and safe.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c160/B...et_Catcher.jpg

It's an old tool safe, with a plastic bin in and lots of felt carpet underlay. Just in case, there's also 2off 8x4 3/4" ply sheets behind it. I'm going to improve things by cutting a 12" hole in the side of my concrete workshop and having the target inside, floodlit and silent. 55yds is the longest I can get at home.
    Looks like it will take an fac round .
    I just use folder carpet in front of a brick wall with a target in front. Never have a .22 come back at me, nice and quiet too.

Dave-G Guest
    Scaffold planks are easily "acquirable" and easy to work with ~ screw together - portable too. then line em with carpet

Thumbs up Cabinet

I'm now quite thinking of doing a cabinet style back stop. And hopefully with doors. So when closed it will look nice & tidy. But will have to change my direction of my shooting.

A good idea that is now causing me another dilema.

Scaffolding planks is another option & I do know where I could acquire them aswell.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for your input.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

stop the pellets

some of the suggestions that have been made to you do not take into a very serious problem.....ricochet....most hard surfaces with do this, it is not only dangerous but quite noisey and alarming to your grumpy neighbours try this...it works for me, get some blue polystyrene type modeling block..(.i think builders use it for insulation) or a thermalite block....put a sheet of lead behind it....or if you like in front as well, this will just make a dull thud....and safe as well

Thumbs up Ricochet

Quote Originally Posted by pugger666
    some of the suggestions that have been made to you do not take into a very serious problem.....ricochet....most hard surfaces with do this, it is not only dangerous but quite noisey and alarming to your grumpy neighbours try this...it works for me, get some blue polystyrene type modeling block..(.i think builders use it for insulation) or a thermalite block....put a sheet of lead behind it....or if you like in front as well, this will just make a dull thud....and safe as well

Valid point.
    I used a cot mattress before with carpet round it last time it done the job, with boards behind that, it just looked naff though. What I really want is ideas to construct something that will look semi-professinal.

I.e

A 6ft cabinet lined with foam block & carpet suspended from the inside sounds very promising. Only thing is that I will need the change the orientation of my shooting position. Not sure this is possible for safety reasons.

Another idea that is possible

Drill scoffolding planks to gate, attatch foam blocks to scoffolding planks & then carpet. Then have a lip at the top to give some weather protection. But this wouldn't look as good as the cabinet though.
    (but would this all be too heavy for gate or just leave it free standing?

Regards
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK