Thread: Back Stop.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Back Stop.

I thinking of setting up a little firing range down my alley way.
    (Firstly move all the kids stuff, that has mounted over the years)

Years ago I used as a back stop, layers of two wooden boards & cot matress with old carpet taped round it.

Which done the job, the carpet muffled the pellet father than letting it whack the wooden boards.

However all of the backstop is long gone & I need to construct another.
    Which isn't a problem.

My main dilema is We now don't speak to our neighour which my alleyway is next to theres.

So I want to construct a decent looking one with sound muffling qualities.
    Reason for this is not so I upset them, it's if they call the police about I'm using a gun. (which my gun doesn't look very PC, check my sig) I want to make a good impression.

My Mrs wouldn't be very happy if they do. She has a very strong Irish temper where I have making of a diplomat. I haven't shot my rifles / pistols for some time. I even lost my shooting ground! And being on here I remember what I've been missing!

So I'm just asking for any advice on any construction which also has to be portable so we can get out of the back gate.

Or do I call the police to let them know (I read a thread when I first joined & the consenus was don't tell them) so I think I've answered that one myself.

I done a search on here but didn't find anything on this subject.

So any details / pics would be most helpful.

Regards
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

paving slabs are very pellet proof and dont shoot in the direction of the nearest public highway(road) and at least 50ft from the centre of it.
    you could use old newspapers too.

is this alleyway a shared access and are there any gates for access for other people?

going by your description it doesnt sound very safe,i'd find a nearby gun range.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70
    paving slabs are very pellet proof and dont shoot in the direction of the nearest public highway(road) and at least 50ft from the centre of it.
    you could use old newspapers too.

is this alleyway a shared access and are there any gates for access for other people?

going by your description it doesnt sound very safe,i'd find a nearby gun range.
    My alleyway is my own his alleyway is separeted by 6ft fence. My gate is padlocked so there would be no access while I'm shooting. I live in a cul-de-sac & I'm at the end of it. Not sure of distance from my back stop to the centre of the road. I will need to check that out.

However when I was shooting down my alley (years ago) I took all safety aspects seriously & never had a stray pellet go over my boundary.

I just want to make sure everything is fine just incase they (neighbour) moans. I don't want the hassle.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

make a box from paving slabs and line it with carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70
    make a box from paving slabs and line it with carpet.
    I did think of that one. But my head was going into overdrive with all elaborate ideas. I forgot about the age old term K.I.S.S.

Cheers
    Paddy
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Backstop

Hi Paddy
    get hold of an old frying pan/ wok etc and get some lead from the scrap merchant and melt it in the pan. Bigger diam the better. Knock it out when cold. Put slabs at the back of it. Shoot into this and it will deaden the noise and it will self perpetuate itself
    What I did for my actual backstop was went to a stationery hardware supplier and bought a six foot by three foot stationery cabinet which had had a door damaged. Asked him to keep the other door for his spares and sell me the shell with a couple of shelves. Total cost delivered was £20. You can spend that for an ordinary target size holder. Wallah HTH

Tutchi