Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pheasants

Question Pheasants

Is it legal to shoot pheasants on my own land or do I need a game license? Is a 12 foot pounds gun enough?

Yes you need a game licence and the season ends on Feb 1

12ft/ibs is not really enough

Its illegal to shoot at night under any kind of light

Its hardly a sporting shot to shoot one on the ground and would be looked on very badly by any neighboring syndicates - why not buy a shotgun and shoot properly?

If they are causing you some kind of problem (although I cant imagine what), they are not birds belonging to a neighboring syndicate, they are in season, you have the correct licence and a proper gun with sufficient power (think .22LR or a shotgun) then technically it would be within the law.

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

too much gun?

Personally I leave pheasants well alone where the air rifle is concerned.

Apart from that, surely a head shot with 12 ft/lbs would do the trick at 35yds or thereabouts. I bet that a rabbit has a stronger skull and a head shot doesn't fail.

For what it's worth....

John

I suggest you do a search on this forum and it should give you an idea of peoples opinions. Its not illigal, but its hardly sporting...

Alex

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by albrown
    I suggest you do a search on this forum and it should give you an idea of peoples opinions. Its not illigal, but its hardly sporting...

Alex

But shooting pigeons , crows and magpies is. Just a thought, not trying to start an insurrection.

curly Guest
    Pigeons, crows and maggies are classed as vermin whereas pheasant are not. Subject to the restrictions mentioned here by others it isn't illegal although one correction is necessary - it doesn't matter who the pheasants belong to. if they are on your land then they can be taken. Even so, it's a good way of upsetting the local syndicate especially if you are using an air rifle instead of a shot gun. A bit illogical and maybe there is an element of ignorance or bias but thats just the way it is.

Fred

Sporting my hairy ar$e. Its an edible bird, if you want one for the pot just go out and shoot one. Its your land. Probably best you don't make it obvious to any neighbouring shoots though, just so as to keep on good terms with em. Technically you need a game license. 12ft/lbs is plenty so long as its headshot.

Anyone who thinks shooting pheasants the traditional way is 'sporting' is an idiot. I've no problem with it, I go beating. But it's hardly sporting to drive them right over the guns is it?

It's one of those things that gets on my tits somewhat. Like people who shoot magpies to protect the ickle songbirds.
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    I know what youre saying about shotguns. They just punch the bird out of air and they generally break their neck when they hit the ground, same with ducks, those little blighters are tremendously tough.

well said Doobin, If your hungry enough shoot it, I hate shooting from a peg I may as well just shoot clays (its a dam site cheaper) some guys that pay to go on the shoots maybe only take home one brace out of maybe 3 or more brace that they have actually shot on the day and if the shoot doesent selll the rest of the pheasants on they only get dumped, hardly sporting. Give me some rough walked up on shooting anyday far more exciting.

yes a game licence is required. even if you rear it you need a game licence to shoot it.
    12ftlb is enough in the right place and distance. in the kisser or just under the throat. do not try body shots. it is quite legal to wring it`s neck but not shoot it.
    game licence from the post office is not a lot. last i remeber was about £15.

a standard air arms s410 cleanly despatch's them with headshots better so than with the shotgunners i have seen... a have been out at night roost shooting when we came upon some pheasants, he has a game licence and permission from the land owner to take a bird if he wants for the pot, and single headshots were more than enough..(i dont have the game licenece so didnt shoot at them then that will be changed thou very tasty birds!)
    personally if its for the pot and you have permission i see no problem to it, as for the driven shoots where they drop hundreds of birds and the guns blaze away all day, many birds are wasted, many need despatching by the guys picking up, to me its not sporting however rough shooting and seeing maybe two pheasant get up and single skilled gun now thats sporting to me....
    personal opinions and all that

Northernspark Guest
    I shot a peasant once, well, he was trying to pinch the milk from my doorstep.

Steve

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    The thing is, a pigeon or a crow makes a worthy adversary for a shotgun or air rifle, therefore it is a sporting quary. A pheasant does not imo. I dont shoot them tbh, with shotgun or air rifle, I feel oddly sorry for them, stupid gangly things, I dont think Ive ever seen one flying where I shoot, just running along like a pretty coloured idiot bird
    Mark

Well I certainly opened up a debate here! I am still unclear wehether it is legal or not. Regarding the sporting bit and proper shooting; what a load of pants. Is creeping up on a rabbit with high tech camo gear sporting? Is hunting with a night vision scope sporting?Is blasting a bird out of the air that flies in close proximity to others with a gun that sprays a 'cloud' of lead so it's hard to miss sporting? Doubt it. My boundaries are
    1. Can I eat it
    2. Am I prepared to skin it
    3. Can I eat it with a clean conscience
    4. Is it legal

Quote Originally Posted by Spondoodles
    Well I certainly opened up a debate here! I am still unclear wehether it is legal or not. Regarding the sporting bit and proper shooting; what a load of pants. Is creeping up on a rabbit with high tech camo gear sporting? Is hunting with a night vision scope sporting?Is blasting a bird out of the air that flies in close proximity to others with a gun that sprays a 'cloud' of lead so it's hard to miss sporting? Doubt it. My boundaries are
    1. Can I eat it
    2. Am I prepared to skin it
    3. Can I eat it with a clean conscience
    4. Is it legal
    Well said!!
    Daystate GP
    Air Arms TX200MKIII in .177
    Air Arms S510 in .177