Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pheasants

GTO NEMESIS Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep
    A syndicate is a collection of shooters who have collective shooting or fishing rights(costs ect.)
    I don't know any hunters who knowingly engage in cruel behaviour and if you are of a sadistic bent there are cheaper ways to get your jollies. We avoid being cruel by atending to the skills and knowledge required and first is not to shoot with the wrong tool. An air rifle is not going to allow the humane dispatch of a fox in any but the rarer circumstances which is quite opposite to the aim. Choose a cartridge that will despatch humanely in all But the rarest of situations.
    No, it was not, and is not my intention to be cruel to any animal.
    But what are the other options? Snare it? Hardley fair or humain, posion was not an option as my cat or wild birds could eat it.
    I would of thought that shooting anything larger than an air rifle would be more dangerous at such close range?

Eitherway, I agree that it was not the best method but scaring it off never worked.

Moving back to the syndicate topic, would you (or anyone else) have any idea how I could find out if the land around me is on a syndicate?
    I have spoken to the farmers Son (no pun intended!) and he has said I am fine to shoot on the fields to the rear of my property (providing I remove the carcusses) but the fields opposite are seasonal for shoots and advised I speak to the father who is away for a month.

Thanks
    Mark

curly Guest
    (with apologies if this is a double post)

You make a clear distinction between 'sport' shooting and shooting for the pot. Fair enough. If that's your only motivation then who am I to argue.

I respect your point of view so far as shooting for the table goes, but I don't understand why you regard 'sporting' shooters with such contempt. The majority of sporting shooters combine their sport with the benefit of having something tasty to eat afterwards and therefore the two elements are not mutually exclusive. Do you really believe that shooting a high driven pheasant is easy? Easier or at least no more difficult than shooting the same bird on the ground from short range with an air rifle? If your only interest is shooting for the pot then the finer sporting aspects are lost on you and you are the poorer for it.

Your post also suggested a degree of contempt for the game licence. You described it as a "technical" requirement. In fact it is much more than a technicality, it is a legal requirement that you have no right to disregard (I am assuming here that you don't possess a game licence & have no intention in obtaining one any time soon). Plenty of people have been prosecuted for killing game without a licence. Whether the licence is justified or not is an entirely different matter. The fact still remains that you are breaking the law without it.

I am concerned about your sneering reference to magpies and song birds. It is a well established and incontrovertible fact that this particular pest has decimated the song bird population. This obviously doesn't matter to you but it does to me and thousands of other people, shooters and non-shooters alike.

I assume you have permission to shoot on your land. What purpose did you give when seeking that permission? Was it for the purpose of vermin control or was it for the purpose of putting food on the table? If it was for vermin control then that excludes game and includes corvids. If it was for the pot then did you make that clear and that it would include game birds? I am left wondering what your land owner/farmer would make of your views and intended actions.

The general tone of your post represents the views of those who only take & do harm and plays into the hands of those who would like to see all shooting banned irrespective of the motivation of the shooter. Shooting is a broad church with room for all responsible people. If you want to be a part of it then respect the views of all shooters and please do me the honour of respecting my views and refrain from calling me and my fellow sportsmen "idiots".

bullsmilk Guest

Talking

i think the word vermin is just a tittle put on an animal to make it easyer to shoot some like rats just need killing at every oppotunity.but others like magpies ect dont deserve it just because they feed of f the eggs and chicks of song birds as well as the great job they do in clearing road kill.should we be labled virmin? ime sure we spread more desieses and us humans kill and eat anything that moves.i for one am all for killing for the table and sport butt people shouldent make excuses for killing one animal over the other with the frase not sporting.if an animal is tide down thats not.sporting joe

Quote Originally Posted by curly

Your post also suggested a degree of contempt for the game licence. You described it as a "technical" requirement. In fact it is much more than a technicality, it is a legal requirement that you have no right to disregard (I am assuming here that you don't possess a game licence & have no intention in obtaining one any time soon). Plenty of people have been prosecuted for killing game without a licence. Whether the licence is justified or not is an entirely different matter. The fact still remains that you are breaking the law without it.

And I hope you never, ever break the speed limit. As a matter of fact, I've got a game license somewhere- probably a few years old, but it's the thought that counts eh? Was worth the six quid to see the look on the post office girls face when I asked her for a license to kill game.

I am concerned about your sneering reference to magpies and song birds. It is a well established and incontrovertible fact that this particular pest has decimated the song bird population. This obviously doesn't matter to you but it does to me and thousands of other people, shooters and non-shooters alike.

Quite. The magpie is a native bird, and has always preyed upon songbirds. Thats the way it is. I'm sure you'd agree with me when I say that part of being a shooter is to respect Nature, and her way of doing things. I also think you need to look elsewhere for the reasons as to the decline of songbird species, rather than try to pin the blame upon magpies which are doing what they have done for centuries. Try declining field margins, loss of hedgerows and widespread use of pesticides and you'd be closer to the mark. Also lets not forget the magpies' partner in crime, Tiddles the Tabby. Cats are some of the most voracious predators when it comes to songbirds- I always wondered why little old dears who spend a fith of their pension upon birdfood bother feeding it to the birds when it just ends up inside the cat. I suppose it's cheaper than catfood and Tiddles gets some exercise. If you're really worried about predatation on birds, I'd suggest you look at culling cats- they do far more damage and they're not a native species. You'd be restoring a balance of nature. Oops, I forgot, people who shoot cats with airguns are bad, bad men.

For what it's worth, I'm not trying to defend magpies, I'll happily shoot them at lambing time. I'm just pointing out that the argument that they are responsible for the decline in UK songbird populations is deeply flawed and is not in my opinion justifiable as a reason to shoot them.

I assume you have permission to shoot on your land. What purpose did you give when seeking that permission? Was it for the purpose of vermin control or was it for the purpose of putting food on the table? If it was for vermin control then that excludes game and includes corvids. If it was for the pot then did you make that clear and that it would include game birds? I am left wondering what your land owner/farmer would make of your views and intended actions.

Where did I say I shot pheasants? I shoot anything that has a detrimental effect upon the farm- rats and pigeons spoiling grain, rabbits eating crops, corvids attacking sheep. That I can eat the rabbits is a bonus. I'd shoot pheasants for the pot

The general tone of your post represents the views of those who only take & do harm and plays into the hands of those who would like to see all shooting banned irrespective of the motivation of the shooter. Shooting is a broad church with room for all responsible people. If you want to be a part of it then respect the views of all shooters and please do me the honour of respecting my views and refrain from calling me and my fellow sportsmen "idiots".

To others who seem to be of the view that shooting pheasant is easy: Maybe on your shoot but not mine. 100ft high and curling in the wind. I'd so enjoy watching you shoot!

I'm rubbish with a shotgun, you'd have a good laugh.

Fred

I seem to remember getting in trouble for the songbird thing before...
    And day by day and dauntingly, Our anger does increase. While you ruin us through ignorance,
    How can we keep our peace?

bullsmilk Guest
    doobin well said mate i couldnt agree more joe

Hey stingray,why didn't you move aside before you got a damn good thrashing you obnoxious little peasant,lmfao.Only kidding mate,im surprised you didn't swing for them (i would of).I won't quote from every thread (can't be bothered cos "i'm an airguna and i'm guna go choot sum beeen canz and sum carz and fingz") i seriously don't think that every pheasant in the uk belongs to a syndicate,neither are all pheasants reared,and finally,they are not a native british bird!!!but a chinese immigrant.They are also the main reason for the decimation of our NATIVE birds of prey due to trapping and poisoning by gamekeepers protecting reared pheasants.I'm also gobsmacked by some of the posts from our shotgun shooting brethren,while i don't shoot shotguns myself,i do not consider my sport inferior and i don't feel the need to lick there boots for there "funding".I must remember to get myself a barbour and a labrador and a proper gun "my ****".

I sometimes shoot Pheasants in my garden and woods, they can be a bloody nuisance especially cockbirds, I have had one fly straight through my bedroom window (which was closed at the time), the racket they make at 4am sometimes starts my dogs off, I dont mind if they are a little way from house but when they roost close to it the trouble begins

And as said so many times they are the thickest bird in the world, they will keep coming back no matter what you do apart from shoot them

And yes the keepers know and aint bothered, I sometimes trap hen birds for them to pick up but cockbirds they dont want, and if you trap cockbirds they will still come back

Baz

toonfish Guest
    I truly can't understand why folk get so het up about "their" pheasants. If they are on your land, to take 1 or 2 for the pot with an air rifle is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. I find it strange that people will shoot things just for "fun" but each to their own.

pixybasher Guest
    I just got in from work after a crueling 6 1/2 hours of watching the tele I'm amased that this thread hasnt ended with a murder or two.

So whilst here I would just like to say that nearly every weekend on the Saturday morning when I'm at the range there is a shotguner just above us in the open fields behind the trees shooting ,on several occasions you can here is lead shot land all around us dispite calling out every time this happens.
    Its just a matter of time before some shot damages a scope and the **** will hit the fan for sure.
    Although not very funny...it is funny to see 3 or 4 FT shooters diving for cover cradleing there guns like babies...me included

Quote Originally Posted by GTO NEMESIS
    No, it was not, and is not my intention to be cruel to any animal.
    But what are the other options? Snare it? Hardley fair or humain, posion was not an option as my cat or wild birds could eat it.
    I would of thought that shooting anything larger than an air rifle would be more dangerous at such close range?

Eitherway, I agree that it was not the best method but scaring it off never worked.

Moving back to the syndicate topic, would you (or anyone else) have any idea how I could find out if the land around me is on a syndicate?
    I have spoken to the farmers Son (no pun intended!) and he has said I am fine to shoot on the fields to the rear of my property (providing I remove the carcusses) but the fields opposite are seasonal for shoots and advised I speak to the father who is away for a month.

Thanks
    Mark
    Try using a live cage trap, then humanly dispatch it.
    If you dont agree, try asking your local police force for a fac for air rifle to control foxes and see what their response is.