Thread: BSA Super ten Bull Barrel

One4thepot Guest

BSA Super ten Bull Barrel

Came very close to buying one of these after months of drooling over pictures of it on the net and in Air Gunner.
    After all it had fairly good reviews.
    So i got myself down to my local gun shop unsupervised with the credit card ready to purchase....

What a terrible "feeling" gun, heavy and cramped. The salesman even said he had to be honest that he thought I looked bunched up with it. Anyway to cut a long story short I walked out the proud owner of a AA S410 carbine.

Just goes to show looks can be deceiving.

Anybody agree?

This is the review section mate.
    You're meant to post a review of the rifle, not a review of your day.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by Kes
    This is the review section mate.
    You're meant to post a review of the rifle, not a review of your day.

One4thepot Guest
    Hmm sarcasm as well!! this is turning out to be just the site I was looking for.

Okay......

I've owned a BSA BullBarrel in .177 flavour.

IMO the BSA S10 stock is a little heavier than it need be. I suspect it's because it was 'designed' to last. Size=strength. The Mk III is a great improvement, but I would go further, as the grip needs reducing too.

Shouldering and holding the rifle feels good. The rifle is quite short and the bottle is a 200cc aluminium type, that adds very little weight at the wrong end. Perhaps this is another reason the stock is heavy, it helps the overall balance of the rifle and makes it quite neutral.

I found myself quite happy with the magazine. There is a new one about, but I had the older (more familiar) one. Never had a problem with these, I know some do, but I never have. Mag holds 10 pellets.

Loading is quite straight forward. BSA wants the shooter to pull and lower the bolt, then raise it before pushing it forward (loading the pellet) then locking the bolt by pushing it downward again. At first this seems a bit complicated, but in practice it's quite a quick operation.

The trigger is wonderful. A proper 2 stage affair with adjustments a plenty. There's also a safety catch. To de-cock the rifle, pull back the bolt and lock it in the 'pulled' position. Remove the magazine, then pull the trigger, while releasing the bolt (slowly) toward its normal forward position. They may still be a pellet in the barrel, but the rifle cannot be fired until the bolt is pulled again. [Re-cocked.]

I'm not completely sure, but I think the bottle is good for 100 shots. Many more than I use while out for a stroll with my rifle...

The Bullbarrell works quite well, but not as well as some sound moderators. In some respects I expect the B/B was designed for use in the American market where sound moderators are either not allowed, or a lengthy aquisition procedure is required. The B/B works, but it isn't whisper quiet.

These rifles come with a regulator as standard. And they work.

Accuracy is very good. If you own one that isn't, get it fixed. The mag may contribute if it marks the pellets, but some problems will almost certainly be down to regulator issues. If the rifle is in warranty, return it to BSA though your local air rifle shop. If out of warranty, consider sending it to the rifles designer. For £75 he will alter the performance of the rifle to that of pre-production design specifications. [It's known as 'blueprinting'. This service work also renews the warranty status of the rifle. Well worth £75.]

This rifle is best described as 'sturdy'. It'll do the job you want it to, day-after day-after day. I only sold mine to fund another project.

The S410 carbine is the best 12ft/lbs hunting rifle for the money. But it is a 'budget' rifle. The blueing is not really thick enough, and the mag indexing lever needs replacing every couple of years.

The B/B is without doubt the better of the two rifles, but you'd need to put the two of them up against each other to appreciate the differences. As an example, I think the BSA barrel is more accurate than the AAs410.

Last edited by Baldie; 06-01-2006 at 11:27 AM.
    To be good, one must do good.

super 10

cant argue with anything baldie says. My 22 is good for over 200 hundred shots per fill (sad little man I am counting out my pellets) and when I miss its my fault. Unlike the original thread I hated the pics but it was love at first sight when I saw 1 in the flesh
    pete

must admit.....i love springers but....the superten bullbarrel carbine could turn a straight guy....!

Baldie was spot on with his appraisal

I love the balance and the wieght makes it feel nice and 'dead' on target when you come to shoot. The trade off is that it gives you a bit of a workout if you're carrying it about in the field for any length of time though.

The BB isnt the quietest but the report is still barely audible from about 5 yards away anyway. Makes it nice and compact in carbine form and it looks the dogs too

I like the cocking action, it feels nice and deliberate and is a good thing after graduating from a springer (ie its harder for me to forget if its loaded/cocked)

The trigger is sublime.

Bad points: Heavy, not the prettiest rifle, seen by many as either a poor mans rapid or unreliable, judging by the sales section depreciates in value a fair bit(meaning pelnty of bargains to be had!!!!!!!)

Oh and ive never counted but I dont think I get 200 shots/fill

jimmy h Guest

nothing but trouble

owned one of the afore mentioned guns after months of saving for one, the only trouble with it was it was crap, totally incapable of putting pellets where they were supposed to go, so returned it for inspection and the barrel was faulty, then the air cylinder started to leak, the magazine jammed and then the postman lost it, never so relieved, bsa had the gun longer after i purchased it than i did, setteld for a daystate mk 3, best move i ever made, gotta say i was gutted though i really liked the way bsa felt.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy h
    owned one of the afore mentioned guns after months of saving for one, the only trouble with it was it was crap, totally incapable of putting pellets where they were supposed to go, so returned it for inspection and the barrel was faulty, then the air cylinder started to leak, the magazine jammed and then the postman lost it, never so relieved, bsa had the gun longer after i purchased it than i did, setteld for a daystate mk 3, best move i ever made, gotta say i was gutted though i really liked the way bsa felt.
    It's a shame you had this experience.

Sometimes 'fixers' can get a bit myopic. A gun gets returned with 'x' problem and 'y' problem will ocurr minutes after 'x' is fixed, but the 'fixer' doesn't use it long enough to discover 'y'.

I would have stuck with it, if you enjoyed the S10. Daystates are wonderful guns, but (currently) out of my price range.

In some respects we are lucky here, because we have access to knowledge and people in the business who will help, and often getting stuff fixed can cost nothing. Mine didn't shoot very well when I got it, but I got it 'fixed' under warranty and it shot very well after that.
    To be good, one must do good.

Lash13 Guest
    This is my one and I really like it....
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5909&members=1

Lash, that looks lovely !

8mm Mauser Guest
    That black stock's amazing but I still think the S10 looks like a Rapid that fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down .

Quote Originally Posted by Lash13
    This is my one and I really like it....
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5909&members=1
    Lash, where did that stock come from? It looks most excellent...

Dazz