Thread: Pro Sport v HW 97k or AA springer v weihrauch springer

matt.b24 Guest

Pro Sport v HW 97k or AA springer v weihrauch springer

Question has been stated ......an interesting debate

"The question" certainly has been stated .... about a million times before. BTW ... don't expect any kind of objectiveness in any replies. What is the reason for asking anyway, you could search the forum's database and have a couple of days reading material. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

matt.b24 Guest
    The purpose was to see peoples opinion......i realize that there have been hundreds and hundreds of information driven threads ....but i am relatively new to this forum and airgunning in general....clearly unlike yourself...also you suggest that the nature of what i ask is pointless...i disagree being a newbie!...Information i have read has lead me to ask the question ...thats the point....cheers Matt

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Get Out Of Jail Free...

What a question... I've been askin' the same for YEARS so have taken the easy option and given myself a get out of jail free card: I'VE GOT ONE OF EACH ! Did lots of borrowing and testing first however, and now have a walnut Pro Sport in .177, and an HW97K in .22.

I believe I now have the perfect combination of underlever springers -- although the HW97K in .177 doesn't seem quite as smooth as the Pro Sport, so would/could benefit from a Venom or S.F.S. tweak. But I plumped for my HW97K in .22 and I LOVE IT!

Pro Sports in both .177 and .22 are as smooth as you like straight from the box however (not withstanding the story in the general info section at the moment, but thats got to be a rarity), and deliver time after time.

Both are good weighty rifles (I hate lightweights as they don't absorb as much recoil) and I have conservatively put 20,000+ rounds through my Pro, and 10,000+ through the HW97K since I've had them with no problems whatsoever (haven't had the HW as long).

So for what its worth, I'd say let the lines of the rifle you like the look of best guide your choice, but remember that if you go for an HW97K in .177, it may benefit from a tune by one of the better gunsmiths once you've run it in whereas you'd do best to leave the Pro Sport well alone (?). These are my thoughts only however, but I'm pretty sure I ain't too far off the mark.

Cheers all: Gareth W-B.

PS/ If its factory walnut you are after though, the Pro is your only choice. Bye again: G W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Ideot Savant Guest
    Well, hes right. A search will get masses of info but...
    I've owned and shot a few hw's and I know own my first air arms, its a prosport and nicer than any out of the box hw, or even a well tuned 97 I shot (or a theoben gasram for that matter)
    It has come to light that the ps may have a bit of a problem with a bolt holding the underlever, so if you are going to look at an air arms I'd include the tx200, which has some serious safety features. If I'd known about the ps problem I would have bought a tx, they are after all almost the same rifle.

'Fraid I agree with Gungeek. This question's been done to death. There is no right answer and all the information you need to make up your own mind exists in (at very least) triplicate in the archive. Even better, try them out and then decide. That said, enjoy.

matt.b24 Guest
    Good answer Thx for your response very thorough and probably has summed up all of my questions in one go.....on paper i like both ....i suppose in real terms its good to have an alternative to a weihrauch when it comes to a springer.....my brother had to choose between an AA 410k and a HW100...pcp's i know...but very close ...he went for the 410 in the end...on weight and balence...

Well, I cán be a little objective as I DON'T own any of them, just Webley's!
    This is my opinion:
    The HW97: cheaper, bút springtwangy
    The AA: better out of the box, no spring twang whatsoever, but more expensive
    And both are heavy, frontheavy and have very boring beech stocks..
    ATB,
    yana

chris ballard Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger
    Well, I cán be a little objective as I DON'T own any of them, just Webley's!
    This is my opinion:
    The HW97: cheaper, bút springtwangy
    The AA: better out of the box, no spring twang whatsoever, but more expensive
    And both are heavy, frontheavy and have very boring beech stocks..
    The AA is available in Walnut...mine is, and its a cracker

HW and AA springers.

Out of the box, the TX200mk3 is ace, balances oh so well.
    HW's out of the box, too mechanical and noisy for me, get it venomed and its a different matter....
    I think THE MOST IMPORTANT thing about a springer though, is how comfortable you are with it. Hold, or should that read, as little hold as you can get away with, is critical. This means that in all shooting positions you should be comfortable and be able to have a solid platform, so the stock shape is important. Both my venom stocked 77k and std beech mk3 balance fantastically, the best balance of any rifles i've had, and as such, I can get the best out of them with easy. I shoot better with heavy rifles, so the tx gets used more, but the 77k is just so nice, i wouldnt want to scratch it.

So, try all the rifles, don't take other peoples word for which is best for them, find out the best for you... if that happens to be a HW, get it venomed. Nuff said

The ProSports in a walnut stock can look very nice,
    Clicky Me

I recently faced the same dilema. My three options were the Webley Longbow, HW 97k or the Tx200.
    I picked the Tx200HC in the end. I read how the AA was better straight out of the box etc but, the fact that the HW and the Tx are so similar means that my ultimate decision was based on AA being British! That may seem a short sighted and outdated reason to pick a product, but I am a patriotic sort of chap and I am also very happy with my choice.