Thread: sidewheel question

REwulf Guest

sidewheel question

Are the factory markings on sidewheels any good or do you have to range and mark it yourself for your eyes .thanx Rob

Iv'e always found it best to mark it to my own eyes

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Depends on the scope and your eyes, you'll just have to suck it and see.
    The best I've come across for really good markings (front PA though) is the Burris. It can be set up for the eyes of the owner.

Chris
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

REwulf Guest

sidewhweel

Thank you gentlemen i thought as much ,also its a nikko 6-24x44 nighteater do you think 24 mag is enough to use a parralax rangefinder for FT?

It won't be much good over about 40 yards, even if you put a bigger wheel on it. 40-50X mag is reckoned to be best for long range shots. You might be better off using holdover.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by REwulf1
    do you think 24 mag is enough to use a parralax rangefinder for FT?
    I doubt it very much, you might get by but as Gwylan suggests you will probably struggle to rangefind accurately at longer ranges.

Chris
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Darren Petts Guest
    The optics on the nighteater aren't upto it. They white-out in sunshine - good scope for vampires.

Rangefinding is achievable at less than 40x mag., depends on the 'scope, surely. Using a 'big' Nikko at 30x mag. gives good results, though you definitely want to replace the original sidewheel, which I think is made of a cast lump of pig-iron, 'cause it weighs a lot. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Quote Originally Posted by Gungeek
    Rangefinding is achievable at less than 40x mag., depends on the 'scope, surely. Using a 'big' Nikko at 30x mag. gives good results, though you definitely want to replace the original sidewheel, which I think is made of a cast lump of pig-iron, 'cause it weighs a lot. Regards ... Geek
    Not sure what you mean about 30X Geek.. I have enough trouble rangefinding at 55yards on 50X. The higher the mag, the easier it "snaps in." the only time I'd use a lower mag is if the light is really poor, and the background dark.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan
    Not sure what you mean about 30X Geek.. I have enough trouble rangefinding at 55yards on 50X. The higher the mag, the easier it "snaps in." the only time I'd use a lower mag is if the light is really poor, and the background dark.

Gus
    I always used my Nikko on 40 mag - never went above that. It would range to the yard up to 55 yards.

What scope are you using?

Dave.

No point in repeating myself exactly but, I can rangefind with my Nikko set to 30x mag. I'm fairly sure all the lucky people with an 8-32x40 Bushnell Elite have no trouble rangefinding, at "only" 32 mag. I'm quite good at rangefinding using my 6-24x40 Bushnell Elite too. For a long time I was using an old DMP 8.5-34X52 to good effect. My Nikko's "best performance" is at 40x mag, not 50x mag., but at this magnification the mil-dot reticule is pretty useless at ranges over 50 yards - you run out of dots - so I'll be mainly using it at 35 mag. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Not wanting to spend the extra for the "big one" I bought the NikkoStirling 6-24×56. Would you say that the extra OD makes the rangefinding more accurate than the 44 mm. OD as obviously the greater aperture makes focus more critical. Also how much better is the 10-50×60 when used at 30× as neither the magnification or OD is much greater. I've never even seen one, I'm just curious.
    MikeB

RWS C225 (Black) , Gamo Red Dot
    Walther CP88 (Wood/Nickel) , Gamo Red Dot
    Crosman 1377 3-9*50 JSR
    AA 410 TDR 6-24*56 Nikko
    BSA Meteor .22 I've had for 43 years!

It might be interesting, MikeB, to compare the optical qualities of the two 'scopes, but there again what would be achieved. You can take it for granted, the 'big' Nikko would be better at rangefinding, its all-round 'performance' at 40x mag. is impressive. Regards ... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon