Thread: HW77 safety catch

HW77 safety catch

My HW77 safety catch has developed a problem. As Weihrauch owners will know, when you cock the rifle, the left hand side of the safety (thick end), pops out slightly and in order to fire you have to depress the thick end to take the safety off. recently, the thick end of the safety seemed to "pop out" a little more than usual and eventually jammed, so that i could not depress it and thus fire the gun. safety then came right out on l/h side. I removed the rekord trigger unit, seems to work perfectly well, removed the safety catch and spring. Replaced all, and fine for about a dozen shots, then safety jammed again and removed itself from l/h side! Stripped again and I detected a slight bend on the safety. Straightened by eye and reassembled. I fired off a few shots, no problem. In case the problem arises again, any Weihrauch experts who can tell me exactly what happens inside the trigger/safety unit when the gun is cocked and then when the safety is depressed?

Mike95

Rekord trigger unit.

As I understand it the safety catch blocks the rearward movement of 50a (lever 2) and thus the movement of the other sears until the safety catch is pushed into the fire position. (Hence the groove around the centre of the safety catch.)

Diagram borrowed from the Forum.

HTH
    Ian

Edited to add - not as clear as Paul explanation.
    Last edited by I. J.; 26-01-2006 at 03:05 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Paul Hudson Guest
    Hi Mike.

The safety is very basic - which is why it works most of the time

At the back of the Rekord unit you will have noticed the lever that holds down the main part of the trigger that grips the piston rod when the rifle is cocked.

When the safety is engaged (pops out) the thick part of the shaft on the safety catch stops that lever moving backwards so that it can't disengage and release the lever that is gripping the piston rod. When you push the safety catch in, this lever can move into the space left by the thin part of the shaft.

Also, at the top left and back of the trigger housing there is a small "kink" and a piece of metal sort of folded over towards the centre of the housing. This stops the safety catch flying all the way out under the pressure of its own spring.

Generally, if the safety catch shaft itself is bent, it's worth having a look at this little lug too to make sure that hasn't been distorted.

Safety catch problems occur when the trigger block has been forced back into place with the trigger uncocked and/or the safety catch not pushed in during a rebuild.

Hmm... just reread this. It's a lot easier to show you what I mean than to explain it.

If this doesn't make sense, drop me an email and I can send you a couple of diagrams that might make it a little clearer.

HTH.

Paul.
    edited to add - Ian beat me to it

Thanks for the brilliantly clear replies. I did cock the trigger unit before putting back into the block, but I did not depress the safety as I put the trigger unit back after my first strip. This may have been the problem. I DID depress after second strip. Did wonder about the purpose of the "bent over" metal lug. I will try out tonight and if still a problem the little lug looks like the culprit!

Mike95

same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hudson View Post
    Hi Mike.

The safety is very basic - which is why it works most of the time

At the back of the Rekord unit you will have noticed the lever that holds down the main part of the trigger that grips the piston rod when the rifle is cocked.

When the safety is engaged (pops out) the thick part of the shaft on the safety catch stops that lever moving backwards so that it can't disengage and release the lever that is gripping the piston rod. When you push the safety catch in, this lever can move into the space left by the thin part of the shaft.

Also, at the top left and back of the trigger housing there is a small "kink" and a piece of metal sort of folded over towards the centre of the housing. This stops the safety catch flying all the way out under the pressure of its own spring.

Generally, if the safety catch shaft itself is bent, it's worth having a look at this little lug too to make sure that hasn't been distorted.

Safety catch problems occur when the trigger block has been forced back into place with the trigger uncocked and/or the safety catch not pushed in during a rebuild.

Hmm... just reread this. It's a lot easier to show you what I mean than to explain it.

If this doesn't make sense, drop me an email and I can send you a couple of diagrams that might make it a little clearer.

HTH.

Paul.
    edited to add - Ian beat me to it
    hi paul ime having the same problem with safety catch,ive cocked the trigger mech before putting it back in but still the rifle goes off
    when it pleases,
    can you send me a diagram of how it goes back together
    penzance cornwall
    thanks andy email below
    jolleyroger13@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by jolley69 View Post
    hi paul ime having the same problem with safety catch,ive cocked the trigger mech before putting it back in but still the rifle goes off
    when it pleases,
    penzance cornwall
    thanks andy email below
    If it is 'going off'..ie firing when it pleases, then you may have the trigger set too light!?
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    If it is 'going off'..ie firing when it pleases, then you may have the trigger set too light!?
    Yes, sounds like the sear adjusting screw (52B) is wound intoo far, wind it out a turn or so and see if the problem is solved.
    As an aside the sear (50a) spring (50i) is shown fitted incorrectly, it should do over the pin as (50H) NOT UNDER.
    "There is only one god and his name is death... and what do we say to him? Not today"

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by jolley69 View Post
    when it pleases,
    penzance cornwall
    thanks andy email below
    Seeing as this thread is nearly 6 years old and the guy has been banned you might be waiting a while!!
    Master Debater