Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home made stocks

dawie22 Guest

home made stocks

Anyone done this, got any tips.. Im board at the moment and want to make a skelleton stock for one of my rifles. Is there any good onlin guides for this?

Thank you in advance darv

Thumbs up

I made one a while back, the trouble is getting hold of the hard wood as you need it 2" thick.
    in the end I settled for maple better grain than beech and that was £20.00
    all I did was to put a stock on top of the maple drew around it rough and jig sawed it out
    the next problem is the air cylinder groove, I paid over £50.00 for a cutter
    to fit on my bench router.
    the stock turned out well but adding all the cost up I could have bought a beech stock ready made, although it did keep me out of the house which was a bonus

ATB
    allan
    Rude Fat Dog 10/22Browning Buckmark pistol

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    Having the appropiate tools is the key. I'm making a ratcatcher stock and i found a spoke shave was invaluable. The hardest part is inletting the action. If you have access to a bench router then that certainly helps. I've searched the internet for hours and it seems that there isn't alot of info available. I'd agree with using maple as you can get some nice grain patterns and it's a good durable wood.

windowrest is offline I may be quick but never flippant
    i made one out of ply just to see how it went... its easier in real wood, as long as you get a good bit! now got a copy of the original stock, but with batteries for the lamp in the stock, and a laser set into the other end with no wires showing.. you can save days of work finishing it by covering the thing in camo tape!

dawie22 Guest
    We have most f the hosehold power toold, routers, jigsaws files. im fairlt good with me hands....

I ask here because i knew that there would be someone here who would have done it... ...

im looking into beech as i have a friend who should be able to get it in hehe. and thinking mainly a router for making the housing for the barrel and then tiles/jigsaw for the outside... my only worry is the catch system for the mad (airsoft ) but will probs get somin sorted hehe...

that reminds me i need to lok for another precharged hehe....

thankyou darv

ps any more info would be aprishiated.

Edit: Camo tape=danger....... gun loaded with the stuff

Inlet first then work from that.

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    Trust me get a spoke shave. Should get one cheap from b&q. There ideal for shaping the cheek piece and fore end. I don't know if you know what one is, it's like a small plane with handles on the side.

dawie22 Guest
    aye me know :P hehe

how long did it take you to make yours??

windowrest is offline I may be quick but never flippant
    spokeshaves are essential! see if you can get an old one from a boot sale or junk shop. old ones are much better..and dirt cheap!

Being a bit lazy I used a power file
    and it still took about a week's worth of evenings

allan
    Rude Fat Dog 10/22Browning Buckmark pistol

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    I spent an afternoon cutting out and shaping and i need to spend an hour or so to inlet the action and then a couple of hours sanding and finishing.

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    Ps i have access to a wood work dept at uni so i had lots of nice big tools to help(im a trainee d&t teacher)

hi darv just sent you 2 emails with piccys of my home made stock for r7.done the inletting first and then the shape.put the origional stock in the pic as well so you can see how much shorter it makes the gun(semi bullpup)had to make a remote trigger, which took a bit of time.the wood is a bit of old stair case.the gun now feels much lighter as the weight is more in your shoulder.done the inletting with portable router and chiseland wood drill.hope this helps. regards Alan
    rapid 7 mk2 .22/btas 30ftlbs fac./fx verminator 177
    rapid 17 mk1 regged(by ben taylor)in mk2 stock
    savage hmr and dm80 mod/ crickett .22

Quote Originally Posted by BIG MAFOOTA
    I spent an afternoon cutting out and shaping and i need to spend an hour or so to inlet the action and then a couple of hours sanding and finishing.

Now need to get two working edges or you are asking for trouble.

BIG MAFOOTA Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hareng
    Now need to get two working edges or you are asking for trouble.
    It's for a ratty so should be ok. The top of the pistol grip is unworked so is still flat. When i do onwe for the rapid i'll definately inlet first.